There's no concern that water thins down or weakens down (dilute) the digestive juices or interfere with digestion. In fact, drinking water during or after a meal helps how your body breaks down and processes food (digestion).
Water is vital for good health. Water and other drinks help break down food so that your body can take in (absorb) the nutrients. Water also makes stool softer, which helps prevent constipation. Choose water when possible instead of drinks full of sugar.
Looking for other ways to promote good digestion? Live a healthy life. Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Also include low-fat or fat-free milk, yogurt and other dairy products and lean meats. Keep a healthy weight. Get active most days of the week.
May 25, 2022
From Mayo Clinic to your inbox
Sign up for free, and stay up to date on research advancements, health tips and current health topics, like COVID-19, plus expertise on managing health. Click here for an email preview.
ErrorEmail field is required
ErrorInclude a valid email address
To provide you with the most relevant and helpful information, and understand which
information is beneficial, we may combine your email and website usage information with
other information we have about you. If you are a Mayo Clinic patient, this could
include protected health information. If we combine this information with your protected
health information, we will treat all of that information as protected health
information and will only use or disclose that information as set forth in our notice of
privacy practices. You may opt-out of email communications at any time by clicking on
the unsubscribe link in the e-mail.
Thank you for subscribing!
You'll soon start receiving the latest Mayo Clinic health information you requested in your inbox.
Sorry something went wrong with your subscription
Please, try again in a couple of minutes
See more Expert Answers
- Perrier ET. Shifting focus: From hydration for performance to hydration for health. Annals of Nutrition & Metabolism. 2017; doi:10.1159/000462996.
- Make better beverage choices. U.S. Department of Agriculture. https://www.myplate.gov/tip-sheet/make-better-beverage-choices. Accessed April 6, 2022.
- Water and healthier drinks. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/healthy_eating/water-and-healthier-drinks.html. Accessed April 6, 2022.
- 2020-2025 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and U.S. Department of Agriculture. https://www.dietaryguidelines.gov. Accessed April 6, 2022.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic. April 25, 2022
- Duyff RL. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Complete Food and Nutrition Guide. 5th ed. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt; 2017.
- Khanna S, ed. Recipe for healthy digestion. In: Mayo Clinic on Digestive Health. 4th ed. Mayo Clinic Press; 2020.