Preparing for your appointment

By Mayo Clinic Staff

Testicular torsion will likely occur as an emergency, leaving you little time to prepare. You'll probably first be seen in the emergency room or by your family doctor. However, you'll probably then be seen by a doctor who specializes in urinary tract problems and disorders affecting male genitals (urologist).

If you have some advance warning before you see the urologist, here's some information to help you prepare, and what to expect from your doctor.

What you can do

  • Write down any symptoms you're experiencing, including any that might seem unrelated to the reason why you're seeking treatment.
  • Write down questions to ask your doctor.

Don't hesitate to ask questions during your appointment. Some questions to ask your doctor include:

  • Why did this happen?
  • Are there other possible causes for my symptoms?
  • What happens if I don't have surgery?
  • What are the possible complications of surgery?
  • Are there any restrictions on activity that I'll need to follow after surgery?
  • How long after surgery will I have to wait to be sexually active?
  • Will I be able to father children?
  • How can I prevent this from happening again?

What to expect from your doctor

Your doctor is likely to ask you a number of questions. Being ready to answer them might give you more time to go over your concerns. You might be asked:

  • When did you first begin experiencing symptoms?
  • What were you doing when you first started experiencing symptoms?
  • Have your symptoms been continuous, or did they go away for a time?
  • How severe are your symptoms?
  • Does anything seem to improve or worsen your symptoms?
  • Has anyone in your family ever had a testicular torsion?
  • Has this ever happened to you before?
Feb. 04, 2016