Care at Mayo Clinic for teen depression
Your Mayo Clinic care team
At Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota, pediatric psychiatrists and psychologists offer inpatient and outpatient treatment for children and teens with depression. A team of mental health professionals will work with you and your teen to set goals, develop a customized plan based on needs, and monitor progress. You'll learn how to effectively provide support to your child.
The treatment team works closely with you and your child to provide extensive education about managing depression. The team can also teach stress management techniques and other tools to empower your teen to cope with depression. When your child leaves Mayo Clinic, Mayo can consult with your hometown doctor to adjust the treatment plan as needed.
Advanced diagnosis and treatment
Mayo Clinic's psychiatry and psychology services include:
- Child, Adolescent and Family Services Unit. In this inpatient unit, children and teenagers are treated for a variety of conditions, such as depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety, detachment from reality (psychosis) or suicidal thoughts or behavior. Children and teens may spend time with psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, nurses, child life specialists, and occupational and recreational therapists. The treatment plan includes family therapy and one-on-one sessions with each child and with caregivers.
- Pediatric Mood Clinic. This outpatient clinic is staffed by experts in childhood mood disorders — such as depression and bipolar disorder — and provides team-based diagnosis and treatment. Two options are available: one for youths ages 11 to 14 and another for teens ages 14 to 18.
- Pediatric Transitions Program. This outpatient program is for teenagers in high school who have difficulty managing their emotions and behavior. Goals include learning how to experience emotions in a healthy way and replacing problem behaviors with skillful behaviors. Teens learn how to improve relationships at home, school and in other social settings. The clinic takes place about five half-days a week for four weeks, depending on individual needs.
Expertise and rankings
- Comprehensive care. The Department of Psychiatry and Psychology at Mayo Clinic is one of the largest psychiatric treatment groups in the United States. A member of the National Network of Depression Centers, Mayo Clinic Depression Center in Minnesota offers comprehensive evaluation and treatment for children with depression or bipolar disorder.
- Extensive expertise and experience. Each year, Mayo Clinic sees more than 3,000 teens with depression. Board-certified specialists in the Department of Psychiatry and Psychology have extensive experience and expertise in treating all types of depression and bipolar disorder.
- Innovative treatments based on the latest research. Mayo Clinic researchers continue to study a number of issues, such as new diagnostic and treatment tools, how genes may be linked to depression, and suicidal behaviors. Some people with depression may be able to participate in clinical trials. You can ask the health team for more information.
Nationally recognized expertise
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, is ranked as one of the top psychiatry hospitals in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
Mayo Clinic Children's Center
Highly skilled pediatric experts diagnose and treat all types of conditions in children. As a team, we work together to find answers, set goals and develop a treatment plan tailored to your child's needs.
Learn more about the Children's Center.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.
Aug. 12, 2022