A subarachnoid hemorrhage is bleeding in the space between the brain and the surrounding membrane (subarachnoid space). The primary symptom is a sudden, severe headache. Some people describe it as the worst headache they have ever felt. Along with having a headache, some people may experience:
- Stiff neck
- Problems with vision
- Brief loss of consciousness
Bleeding usually happens when an irregular bulge in a blood vessel (aneurysm) bursts in the brain. Sometimes, bleeding is caused by trauma, a tangle of blood vessels in the brain (arteriovenous malformation), or other blood vessel or health problems.
Untreated, a subarachnoid hemorrhage can lead to permanent brain damage or death.
Products & Services
Subarachnoid hemorrhage care at Mayo Clinic
Aug. 31, 2022
- Winn HR. Perioperative management of subarachnoid hemorrhage. In: Youmans and Winn Neurological Surgery. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2023. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 6, 2022.
- Connolly ES, et al. Guidelines for the management of aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage: A guideline for the healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. Stroke 2012; doi: 10.1161/str.0b013e3182587839
- Siddiq F. Nonaneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed May 6, 2022.
- Ferri FF. Subarachnoid hemorrhage. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2022. Elsevier; 2022. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 6, 2022.
- Singer RJ, et al. Aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage: Epidemiology, risk factors, and pathogenesis. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed May 6, 2022.
- Dubosh NM, et al. Diagnosis and initial emergency department management of subarachnoid hemorrhage. Emergency Medical Clinics of North America. 2021; doi: 10.1016/j.emc.2020.09.005
- Chakraborty T, et al. CT-negative subarachnoid hemorrhage in the first six hours. Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases. 2020; doi: 10.1016/j.jstrokecerebrovasdis.2020.105300
- Singer RJ, et al. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed May 6, 2022
- Torregrossa F, et al. Therapeutic approaches for cerebrovascular dysfunction after aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage: An update and future perspectives. World Neurosurgery. 2022; doi: 10.1016/j.wneu.2021.11.096
- Singer RJ, et al. Treatment of aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed May 6, 2022.
- Tawk, RG, et al. Diagnosis and treatment of unruptured intracranial aneurysms and aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2021; doi: 10.1016/j.mayocp.2021.01.005
- Daroff RB, et al. Intracranial aneurysms and subarachnoid hemorrhage. In: Bradley and Daroff's Neurology in Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Elsevier; 2022. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 6, 2022.
- Singer RJ, et al. Treatment of cerebral aneurysms. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed July 5, 2022.
- Youssef PP, et al. Woven endobridge(WEB) device in the treatment of ruptured aneurysms. Journal of Interventional Surgery. 2021; doi: 10.1136/neurintsurg-2020-016405
- Gupta R, et al. Primary results of the Vesalio NeVa VS for the treatment of symptomatic cerebral vasospasm following aneurysm subarachnoid hemorrhage (vital) study. Journal of Interventional Surgery.2021; doi: 10.1136/neurintsurg.2021.017859
- Guerra H, et al. The first CT in a subarachnoid hemorrhage: A picture tells a story. Practical Neurology. 2017; doi: 10.1136/practneurol-207-001639
- Kramer CL, et al. Refining the association of fever with functional outcome in aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. Neurocritical Care. 2017; doi: 10.1007/s12028-0160281-7
- Rinaldo L, et al. Transfer to high-volume centers associated with reduced mortality after endovascular treatment of acute stroke. Stroke. 2017; doi: 10.1161/strokeaha.116360
- Pegoli M, et al. Predictors of excellent functional outcome in aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. Journal of Neurosurgery. 2015; doi: 10.3171/2014.10jns14290
- Nguyen HT. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic. April 22, 2022.
- Rabinstein AA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic. July 1, 2022.
Products & Services