Since being diagnosed with Sjogren's syndrome last year, I've had three urinary tract infections. Is there any evidence that Sjogren's syndrome causes recurrent UTIs?
Answer From April Chang-Miller, M.D.
No, but Sjogren's syndrome can cause symptoms that you might mistake for a urinary tract infection (UTI). Sjogren's syndrome is an autoimmune disorder in which the moisture-secreting glands of the eyes and mouth became inflamed, producing fewer tears and less saliva.
Sjogren's syndrome can also cause vaginal dryness — which may result in discomfort during sexual intercourse and an increase in the risk of bacterial and fungal vaginal infections. Painful urination, a common symptom of UTIs, also can occur with vaginal infections.
If you have Sjogren's syndrome, you are also more likely to have a condition called painful bladder syndrome, or interstitial cystitis. This condition causes signs and symptoms similar to those of a urinary tract infection — urinary frequency, urgency and pain — without evidence of infection.
Dec. 01, 2020
From Mayo Clinic to your inbox
Sign up for free, and stay up to date on research advancements, health tips and current health topics, like COVID-19, plus expertise on managing health.
ErrorEmail field is required
ErrorInclude a valid email address
To provide you with the most relevant and helpful information, and understand which
information is beneficial, we may combine your email and website usage information with
other information we have about you. If you are a Mayo Clinic patient, this could
include protected health information. If we combine this information with your protected
health information, we will treat all of that information as protected health
information and will only use or disclose that information as set forth in our notice of
privacy practices. You may opt-out of email communications at any time by clicking on
the unsubscribe link in the e-mail.
Thank you for subscribing
Our Housecall e-newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest health information.
Sorry something went wrong with your subscription
Please, try again in a couple of minutes
See more Expert Answers
- Patient education sheet: Interstitial cystitis or bladder pain syndrome. Sjogren's Syndrome Foundation. https://www.sjogrens.org/home/about-sjogrens/brochures-and-fact-sheets. Accessed Jan. 9, 2019.
- Vivino FB. Sjogren's syndrome: Clinical aspects. Clinical Immunology. 2017;182:48.
- Symptoms. Sjogren's Syndrome Foundation. https://www.sjogrens.org/home/about-sjogrens/symptoms. Accessed Jan. 30, 2019.
- Baer AN, et al. Clinical manifestations of Sjogren's syndrome: Exocrine gland disease. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Jan. 30, 2019.
- Bayer AN, et al. Clinical manifestations of Sjogren's syndrome: Extraglandular disease and prognosis. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Jan. 31, 2019.