Mayo Clinic's approach
Your Mayo Clinic care team
At Mayo Clinic, care for people with mouth cancer is directed by surgeons who specialize in head and neck cancers (head and neck oncologic surgeons) who coordinate a multispecialty team. Surgeons who direct care teams include mouth and jaw surgeons (oral and maxillofacial surgeons) and ear, nose and throat surgeons (otorhinolaryngologists).
Your care team might also include experts in radiation oncology, medical oncology, plastic and reconstructive surgery, rehabilitation therapies, and other specialties as needed.
Advanced diagnosis and treatment
At Mayo Clinic, doctors use the latest treatments and technology:
- In select cases of mouth cancer, surgeons use sentinel node biopsy to determine whether cancer has spread to the lymph nodes and which lymph nodes are at risk.
- Highly focused forms of radiation therapy, including intensity-modulated radiation therapy and proton therapy, allow radiation oncologists to target cancer cells while sparing nearby healthy tissue.
- Complex reconstructive surgical therapies, such as free tissue transfer or free flaps, allow surgeons to rebuild the mouth and face for people with large mouth cancers.
- Clinical trials allow people undergoing treatment at Mayo Clinic a chance to receive new, promising therapies. Programs such as the Early Cancer Therapeutics Group offer options if your cancer hasn't responded to standard treatments.
Mayo Clinic doctors will work with you to review all of your treatment options and choose the treatment that best suits your needs and goals. The range of treatments offered to people with mouth cancer includes surgery, radiation, chemotherapy and targeted drug therapy.
The Mayo Clinic experience and patient stories
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care like they've never experienced. See the stories of satisfied Mayo Clinic patients.
Expertise and rankings
Mayo Clinic specialists are respected for the experience and expertise in caring for people with mouth cancer. At Mayo Clinic, you can expect:
- Personalized care. A team of specialists works together to be sure your treatment plan considers all of your needs. Your team might involve experts in oral and maxillofacial surgery, otorhinolaryngology, radiation oncology, medical oncology, plastic and reconstructive surgery, oral and maxillofacial surgery, rehabilitation therapies, and other specialties as needed.
- Experience you can trust. Mayo Clinic doctors have the knowledge and resources to provide you with exactly the care you need. Each year, more than 1,200 people with mouth cancer seek care at Mayo Clinic.
- Nationally recognized excellence. Mayo Clinic Cancer Center meets the strict standards for a National Cancer Institute comprehensive cancer center, which recognize scientific excellence and a multispecialty approach focused on cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for cancer by U.S. News & World Report.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.
Jan. 03, 2019