Coping and support

By Mayo Clinic Staff

If your baby is diagnosed with ambiguous genitalia, you may worry about your child's future. Mental health providers can help you deal with this difficult and unexpected challenge. Ask your child's doctor for a referral to a therapist or counselor who has experience helping people in your situation. In addition to ongoing counseling for your family and your child, you may benefit from a support group, either in person or online.

Not knowing the gender of your newborn immediately can turn a hoped-for celebration into a stressful crisis. Until the medical evaluation is complete, try to avoid thinking of your child as either a boy or a girl.

Consider delaying a formal announcement of the birth until testing is complete and you've developed a plan with advice from your medical team. Give yourself some time to learn and think about the issue before answering difficult questions from family and friends.

March 06, 2015