Abdominal aortic aneurysm care at Mayo Clinic
- Your Mayo Clinic team. Mayo Clinic doctors trained in blood vessel conditions (vascular specialists), blood vessel surgery (vascular and endovascular surgeons) and other doctors in a wide array of specialties collaborate as a multidisciplinary team to provide coordinated, comprehensive care. This collaborative approach means doctors can often evaluate you and develop a treatment plan within two or three days.
- Individualized approach. Doctors at Mayo Clinic get to know you as a whole person and work with you to provide exactly the care you need.
- Advanced diagnostic tools. Mayo Clinic doctors use the most current imaging tests to accurately diagnose abdominal aortic aneurysms. Tests may include ultrasonography, computerized tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and others.
- Surgical experience. Mayo Clinic doctors have extensive experience performing surgery to repair abdominal aortic aneurysms using endovascular surgery and open abdominal surgery.
- Research. Mayo Clinic doctors study potential diagnosis and treatment options for abdominal aortic aneurysms and conduct clinical trials.
The Mayo Clinic experience and patient stories
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care like they've never experienced. See the stories of satisfied Mayo Clinic patients.
Daughter's Persistence Leads to Discovery of a Life-Threatening Aortic Aneurysm
Morgan Burke spent years urging her father, Tony Burke, to make a doctor's appointment. When Tony was 12 years old, he had open-heart surgery at Mayo Clinic to repair aortic stenosis. But as an adult, the 48-year-old avoided most medical care. "I'm just that type. I don't go to the doctor ever ? unless I'm [...]
Despite Two Aortic Aneurysms, Dennis Brennan Living the Life he Loves
Dennis Brennan met Albert Hakaim, M.D., a vascular surgeon at Mayo Clinic's Florida campus, in January 2008. Then 73 years old and living in Ft. Meyers, Florida, Dennis had just learned that he had an abdominal aortic aneurysm ? a weakened and enlarged area in the lower part of the aorta, the main artery that [...]
Expertise and rankings
- Experience and expertise. Mayo Clinic doctors trained in blood vessel conditions (vascular specialists), blood vessel surgery (vascular and endovascular surgeons) and others have experience and expertise diagnosing and treating abdominal aortic aneurysms. Mayo doctors evaluate or treat more than 3,400 people with abdominal aortic aneurysms each year, and doctors perform about 225 abdominal aortic aneurysm procedures each year.
- Vascular centers. Each Mayo Clinic location offers a vascular center staffed by doctors and other specialists who have training and experience in treating vascular diseases. Vascular centers include the Gonda Vascular Center at Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota and vascular centers at Mayo Clinic's campuses in Arizona and Florida.
- Treatment expertise. Mayo Clinic doctors have expertise treating people who have abdominal aortic aneurysms using endovascular surgery and open abdominal surgery.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for heart and heart surgery.
Learn more about Mayo Clinic's cardiac surgery and cardiovascular diseases departments' expertise and rankings.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.
Aug. 10, 2017