Departments and specialties
Mayo Clinic has one of the largest and most experienced practices in the United States,
with campuses in Arizona, Florida and Minnesota. Staff skilled in dozens of specialties work
together to ensure quality care and successful recovery.
Departments with related expertise
Areas that research this procedure
As a leading center for clinical trials of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS), Mayo Clinic's Department of Psychiatry and Psychology continues to study the use of rTMS for adults and teenagers with treatment-resistant depression and its potential for other uses.
See a list of publications by Mayo doctors on rTMS on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Transcranial magnetic stimulation care at Mayo Clinic
Dec. 29, 2017
- Brain stimulation therapies. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/brain-stimulation-therapies/brain-stimulation-therapies.shtml. Accessed Sept. 21, 2015.
- Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS). National Alliance on Mental Illness. https://www2.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=About_Treatments_and_Supports&Template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=164338. Accessed Sept. 21, 2015.
- Holtzheimer PE. Unipolar depression in adults: Treatment with transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 21, 2015.
- Janicak PG, et al. Transcranial magnetic stimulation for the treatment of major depression. Neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment. 2015;11:1549.
- Research report: Psychiatry and psychology, 2014-2015. Mayo Clinic. http://www.mayo.edu/pmts/mc0700-mc0799/mc0710-11.pdf. Accessed Sept. 22, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Transcranial magnetic stimulation. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Wall C, et al. Neurocognitive effects of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation in adolescents with major depressive disorder. Frontiers in Psychiatry. 2013;4:165.
- Kung S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 29, 2015.
- Croarkin PE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 26, 2015.
Transcranial magnetic stimulation