Departments and specialties
Mayo Clinic has one of the largest and most experienced practices in the United States,
with campuses in Arizona, Florida and Minnesota. Staff skilled in dozens of specialties work
together to ensure quality care and successful recovery.
Departments with related expertise
Areas that research this procedure
Mayo Clinic doctors and scientists are studying ways to improve outcomes and quality of life for people undergoing cystectomy. Mayo Clinic is the top recruiter and the main site of a national clinical trial comparing open cystectomy and robotic cystectomy, looking into cancer outcomes, surgical complications and health-related quality of life after the procedure. Learn more about urology research.
Researchers are also studying ways to improve bladder cancer diagnosis and treatment. Cancer research is conducted in coordination with the Mayo Clinic Cancer Center. The Mayo Clinic Cancer Center receives funding from the National Cancer Institute and is designated as a comprehensive cancer center — recognition for an institution's scientific excellence and multidisciplinary resources focused on cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic authors on cystectomy on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Bladder removal surgery (cystectomy) care at Mayo Clinic
Dec. 23, 2017
- AskMayoExpert. Cystectomy. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Bladder cancer surgery. American Cancer Society. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/bladder-cancer/treating/surgery.html. Accessed Feb. 7, 2017.
- Stephenson AJ. Radical cystectomy and bladder-sparing treatments for urothelial bladder cancer. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 25, 2017.
- Shariat SF, et al. Urinary diversion and reconstruction following cystectomy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 30, 2017.
- Wein AJ, et al., eds. Transureteral and open surgery for bladder cancer. In: Campbell-Walsh Urology. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 25, 2017.
- Wein AJ, et al., eds. Robotic and laparoscopic bladder surgery. In: Campbell-Walsh Urology. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 25, 2017.
- Bladder cancer treatment (PDQ). National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/bladder/healthprofessional. Accessed Dec. 1, 2016.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Urinary conduit surgery. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Neobladder surgery. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Brown AY. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 28, 2016.
- Tollefson MK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 19, 2017.
Bladder removal surgery (cystectomy)