Mayo Clinic researchers are studying the use of convalescent plasma therapy for people hospitalized with severe or life-threatening COVID-19.
The immediate goal of this research is to determine if convalescent plasma therapy can improve the chance of recovery for people with the most severe disease. A second goal is to test whether convalescent plasma can help keep people who are moderately sick from getting sicker.
Mayo Clinic is leading a COVID-19 Expanded Access Program along with many other institutions. Learn more about the COVID-19 Expanded Access Program.
Find out more about COVID-19 research at Mayo Clinic.
See a list of publications about convalescent plasma therapy by Mayo Clinic doctors on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
View all physicians • All Locations
Convalescent plasma therapy care at Mayo Clinic
May 20, 2020
- Therapeutic options for COVID-19 currently under investigation. National Institutes of Health. . https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines.nih.gov/immune-based-therapy/convalescent-plasma-and-immune-globulins/. Accessed May 8, 2020.
- Recommendations for investigational COVID-19 convalescent plasma. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. https://www.fda.gov/vaccines-blood-biologics/investigational-new-drug-ind-or-device-exemption-ide-process-cber/recommendations-investigational-covid-19-convalescent-plasma. Accessed May 8, 2020.
- Host modifiers and immune-based therapy under evaluation for treatment of COVID-19. National Institutes of Health. https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines.nih.gov/immune-based-therapy/. Accessed May 8, 2020.
- Donate COVID-19 plasma. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. https://www.fda.gov/emergency-preparedness-and-response/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/donate-covid-19-plasma. Accessed May 8, 2020.
- Plasma donations from recovered COVID-19 patients. American Red Cross. https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate-blood/dlp/plasma-donations-from-recovered-covid-19-patients.html. Accessed May 8, 2020.
- Rajendran K, et al. Convalescent plasma transfusion for the treatment of COVID-19: Systematic review. Journal of Medical Virology. 2020; doi:10.1002/jmv.25961.
- Investigational COVID-19 convalescent plasma — Emergency INDs: Frequently asked questions. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. https://www.fda.gov/media/136470/download. Accessed May 8, 2020.
- Expanded access to convalescent plasma for the treatment of patients with COVID-19. https://www.uscovidplasma.org/. Accessed May 8, 2020.
- Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-2019). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html. Accessed May 8, 2020.
- Kim AR. Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19): Management in hospitalized adults. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed May 8, 2020.
- AskMayoExpert. COVID-19. Mayo Clinic; 2020.
- Joyner MJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic. May 8, 2020.
News from Mayo Clinic
Convalescent plasma therapy