Numbness in one or both hands describes a loss of sensation or feeling in your hand or fingers. Often, hand numbness may be accompanied by other changes, such as a pins-and-needles sensation, burning or tingling. Your arm, hand or fingers may feel clumsy or weak.
Numbness can occur along a single nerve in one hand, or it may occur symmetrically in both hands.
April 19, 2019
- Numbness. Merck Manual Professional Version. https://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/neurologic-disorders/symptoms-of-neurologic-disorders/numbness. Accessed March 1, 2019.
- Stroke: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/stroke/detail_stroke.htm. Accessed Jan. 19, 2016.
- Signs and symptoms of adult brain and spinal cord tumors. American Cancer Society. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/brain-spinal-cord-tumors-adults/detection-diagnosis-staging/signs-and-symptoms.html. Accessed March 1, 2019.
- De Keyser F. Ganglion cysts of the wrist and hand. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 2, 2016.
- Raynaud's disease. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/raynaud/ray_all.html. Accessed Feb. 2, 2016.
- Numbness. National Multiple Sclerosis Society. http://www.nationalmssociety.org/about-multiple-sclerosis/what-we-know-about-ms/symptoms/numbness/index.asp. Accessed Feb. 2, 2016.
- Neuropathy (nerve damage). American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/neuropathy/. Accessed Feb. 3, 2016.
- Stabler SP. Vitamin B12 deficiency. New England Journal of Medicine. 2013;368:149.
- Cervical spondylosis (arthritis of the neck). American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00369. Accessed Feb. 3, 2016.
- Ganglion (cyst) of the wrist. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00006. Accessed Feb. 4, 2016.
- Syrinx. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/print/sec16/ch224/ch224j.html.. Accessed Feb. 4, 2016.
- Brachial plexus injuries information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/brachial_plexus/brachial_plexus.htm. Accessed Feb. 10, 2016.
- Daroff RB, et al. Disorders of the peripheral nerves. In: Bradley's Neurology in Clinical Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 1, 2019.
- Briemberg HR, et al. Approach to the patient with sensory loss. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 25, 2016.
- Levin K. Cervical spondylitic myelopathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 10, 2016.
- Vriesendorp FJ. Clinical features and diagnosis of Guillain-Barré syndrome in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 15, 2016.
- Clinical manifestations of Sjögren's syndrome: Extraglandular disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 29, 2016.
- Bowden JL, et al. The prevalence and magnitude of impaired cutaneous sensation across the hand in the chronic period post-stroke. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e104153.
- Ferri FF. Frostbite. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2019. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2019. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 5, 2019.