Numbness in one or both hands describes a loss of sensation or feeling in your hand or fingers. Often, you may experience numbness in hands along with other changes, such as a pins-and-needles sensation, burning or tingling. Your arm, hand or fingers may feel clumsy or weak.
Numbness can occur along a single nerve in one hand, or it may occur symmetrically in both hands.
June 12, 2021
From Mayo Clinic to your inbox
Sign up for free, and stay up to date on research advancements, health tips and current health topics, like COVID-19, plus expertise on managing health.
ErrorEmail field is required
ErrorInclude a valid email address
To provide you with the most relevant and helpful information, and understand which
information is beneficial, we may combine your email and website usage information with
other information we have about you. If you are a Mayo Clinic patient, this could
include protected health information. If we combine this information with your protected
health information, we will treat all of that information as protected health
information and will only use or disclose that information as set forth in our notice of
privacy practices. You may opt-out of email communications at any time by clicking on
the unsubscribe link in the e-mail.
Thank you for subscribing
Our Housecall e-newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest health information.
Sorry something went wrong with your subscription
Please, try again in a couple of minutes
- Numbness. Merck Manual Professional Version. https://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/neurologic-disorders/symptoms-of-neurologic-disorders/numbness#. Accessed April 16, 2021.
- Stroke: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. https://www.ninds.nih.gov/Disorders/Patient-Caregiver-Education/Hope-Through-Research/Stroke-Hope-Through-Research. Accessed April 16, 2021.
- Signs and symptoms of adult brain and spinal cord tumors. American Cancer Society. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/brain-spinal-cord-tumors-adults/detection-diagnosis-staging/signs-and-symptoms.html. Accessed April 16, 2021.
- De Keyser F. Ganglion cysts of the wrist and hand. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed April 20, 2021.
- Raynaud's disease. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/raynaud/. Accessed April 16, 2021.
- Numbness. National Multiple Sclerosis Society. http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Symptoms-Diagnosis/MS-Symptoms/Numbness. Accessed April 16, 2021.
- Neuropathy (nerve damage). American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/neuropathy/. Accessed April 16, 2021.
- Stabler SP. Vitamin B12 deficiency. New England Journal of Medicine. 2013; doi: 10.1056/NEJMcp1113996.
- Cervical spondylosis (arthritis of the neck). American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/cervical-spondylosis-arthritis-of-the-neck. Accessed Feb. 3, 2016.
- Ganglion (cyst) of the wrist. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/ganglion-cyst-of-the-wrist-and-hand. Accessed April 20, 2021.
- Syrinx of the spinal cord or brain stem. Merck Manual Professional Version. https://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/neurologic-disorders/spinal-cord-disorders/syrinx-of-the-spinal-cord-or-brain-stem. Accessed April 20, 2021.
- Brachial plexus injuries information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/brachial_plexus/brachial_plexus.htm. Accessed April 19, 2021.
- Daroff RB, et al. Disorders of the peripheral nerves. In: Bradley's and Daroff's Neurology in Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Saunders Elsevier; 2022. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 28, 2021.
- Briemberg HR, et al. Approach to the patient with sensory loss. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed April 16, 2021.
- Levin K. Cervical spondylitic myelopathy. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed April 20, 2021.
- Vriesendorp FJ. Guillain-Barré syndrome in adults: Clinical features and diagnosis. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed April 20, 2021.
- Baer AN. Clinical manifestations of Sjögren's syndrome: Extraglandular disease. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed April 19, 2021.
- Bowden JL, et al. The prevalence and magnitude of impaired cutaneous sensation across the hand in the chronic period post-stroke. PLoS ONE. 2014; doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0104153. eCollection 2014.
- Ferri FF. Frostbite. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2021. Elsevier; 2021. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 28, 2021.