Joint pain is discomfort in a joint. Sometimes, the joint swells and feels warm as well.
Joint pain can be a symptom of many ailments, including some viruses. The most common cause of joint pain is arthritis. There are more than 100 types of arthritis.
Joint pain can be mild, causing soreness only after certain activities. Or it can be severe, making even small movements very painful.
Joint pain is rarely an emergency. Mild joint pain often can be cared for at home.
Make an appointment with your health care provider if you have joint pain and:
- Tenderness and warmth around the joint.
See a health care provider right away if an injury causes joint pain and:
- The joint looks out of shape.
- You can't use the joint.
- The pain is severe.
- There's sudden swelling.
When caring for mild joint pain at home, follow these tips:
- Try pain relievers you can get without a prescription. These include ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others) or naproxen sodium (Aleve).
- Don't move in ways that make the pain worse.
- Apply ice or a package of frozen peas to the painful joint for 15 to 20 minutes a few times each day.
- Apply a heating pad, soak in a warm tub or take a warm shower to relax muscles and increase blood flow.
April 05, 2023
- Shmerling RH. Evaluation of the adult with polyarticular pain. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Nov. 10, 2022.
- What is arthritis? Arthritis Foundation. https://www.arthritis.org/health-wellness/about-arthritis/understanding-arthritis/what-is-arthritis. Accessed Dec. 17, 2015.
- Kimura Y, et al. Evaluation of the child with joint pain and/or swelling. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Nov. 10, 2022.
- Pain in multiple joints. Merck Manual Professional Version. https://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/musculoskeletal-and-connective-tissue-disorders/pain-in-and-around-joints/pain-in-multiple-joints#. Accessed Nov. 10, 2022.
- Tips to ease joint pain. https://www.arthritis.org/health-wellness/healthy-living/managing-pain/pain-relief-solutions/tips-to-ease-joint-pain. Accessed Nov. 10, 2022.
- Helfgott SM. Overview of monoarthritis in adults: Etiology and evaluation. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Nov. 10, 2022.
- Paget's disease of bone. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/pagets-disease-of-bone. Accessed Nov. 10, 2022.