By Mayo Clinic Staff
Sept. 09, 2017
Did you know that some poultry producers "enhance" their chicken with a salty solution? To keep within your salt limits, check the ingredient label on poultry and avoid products that list salt, brine, broth or stock.
Number of servings Serves 4
- 1/4 cup all-purpose (plain) flour
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 skinless, bone-in chicken breast halves, about 3/4 pound total weight, each cut in half crosswise (should be 4 pieces total)
- 2 skinless, bone-in chicken thighs (about 3/4 pound total)
- 2 skinless, bone-in chicken legs (about 3/4 pound total)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
- 1 shallot, chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 pound small white button mushrooms, brushed clean
- 1/2 pound peeled pearl onions
- 3/4 cup no-salt-added vegetable stock, chicken stock or broth
- 1/2 cup port or dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme, plus sprigs for garnish
In a shallow dish, stir together the flour and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Dredge the chicken pieces in the seasoned flour.
In a large, heavy saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes total. Transfer to a platter.
Add the shallot to the pan and saute until softened, about 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and saute until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the onions and saute until they begin to pick up some brown color, 2 to 3 minutes.
Stir in the stock and wine and deglaze the pan, scraping up any browned bits. Return the chicken to the pan, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chicken and vegetables are tender, 45 to 50 minutes. Stir in vinegar, chopped thyme and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
To serve, divide the vegetables among warmed shallow individual bowls. Top each portion with 2 pieces of chicken, 1 light meat and 1 dark. Garnish with thyme sprigs. Serve immediately.
Nutritional analysis per serving
Serving size :2 pieces of chicken (1 light, 1 dark)
- Total carbohydrate 18 g
- Dietary fiber 2 g
- Sodium 172 mg
- Saturated fat 2 g
- Total fat 12 g
- Added sugars 0 g
- Cholesterol 146 mg
- Protein 41 g
- Monounsaturated fat 6 g
- Calories 344
- Trans fat Trace
- Total sugars 7 g
- Protein and dairy 2
- Fats 1
- Vegetables 2
- Carbohydrates 1/2
- Meat and meat substitutes 5
- Fats 1
- Nonstarchy vegetables 2
- Starches 1/2
- Grains and grain products 1/2
- Fats and oils 1
- Meats, poultry and fish 5
- Vegetables 2
This recipe is one of 150 recipes collected in "The New Mayo Clinic Cookbook," published by Mayo Clinic Health Information and Oxmoor House, and winner of the 2005 James Beard award.