I'll never forget the first birth I attended while in nursing school. I left the room and cried for 20 minutes straight. That overwhelming emotion put my feet on a path which currently (and happily) has led me to the stomping grounds of Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota.
This calling to midwifery has taught me to be astute, humble, watchful and respectful of the process of pregnancy and birth. That is my core.
Other interesting (or not) facts about me:
- RN since 1994, always caring for moms and babies.
- Certified Nurse Midwife since 2009 (University of Minnesota Golden Gophers).
- Work life: prenatal visits, postpartum care, limited first trimester ultrasounds, committee meetings, teaching (residents and midwifery students), supporting women in labor, and, of course, catching babies.
- Home life: best-ever husband, two adorably talented teenage boys, hockey games (theirs, not mine), escaping to the lakes of northern Minnesota, writing and vacationing. I am hoping to add "working out" to this list someday soon.
- Biggest baby I have caught: 11 lbs, 5 oz. Unmedicated.
- Modeled on TV for the Home Shopping Network. I rode an electric scooter (quite miserably, I might add) around a parking lot with boom cameras. You just can't make this stuff up.
Thank you for taking the time to learn about me and for your interest in sharing the ups and downs of pregnancy.