Description and Brand Names
US Brand Name
- Aptensio XR
- Metadate ER
- Methylin ER
- QuilliChew ER
- Quillivant XR
- Ritalin LA
Methylphenidate is used to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). It belongs to the group of medicines called central nervous system (CNS) stimulants.
Methylphenidate is also used to treat narcolepsy. Narcolepsy is an uncontrollable desire for sleep or a sudden attack of deep sleep.
Methylphenidate works in the treatment of ADHD by increasing attention and decreasing restlessness in children and adults who are overactive, cannot concentrate for very long, or are easily distracted and impulsive. This medicine is used as part of a total treatment program that also includes social, educational, and psychological treatment.
This medicine is available only with your doctor's prescription.
This product is available in the following dosage forms:
- Tablet, Extended Release, Disintegrating
- Capsule, Extended Release Biphasic 40/60
- Capsule, Extended Release
- Capsule, Extended Release Biphasic 30/70
- Tablet, Chewable
- Tablet, Extended Release
- Capsule, Extended Release Biphasic 50/50
- Powder for Suspension, Extended Release
- Tablet, Extended Release, Chewable