Departments and specialties
Mayo Clinic has one of the largest and most experienced practices in the United States,
with campuses in Arizona, Florida and Minnesota. Staff skilled in dozens of specialties work
together to ensure quality care and successful recovery.
Departments that treat this condition
Lab research on hepatitis C
Mayo Clinic researchers are studying the ways the hepatitis C virus may respond to treatment.
Mayo Clinic doctors and researchers are studying innovations in the diagnosis and treatment of hepatitis C, with particular emphasis on optimal antiviral therapy before and after liver transplant. Immunologists and virologists are also working on development of a hepatitis C vaccine.
Another area of research is cell transplantation, which involves infusing liver cells, cells much like liver cells or stem cells through the portal vein into the liver or into a peripheral blood vessel to repair liver damage.
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic doctors on hepatitis C on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Hepatitis C care at Mayo Clinic
Aug. 18, 2017
- Hepatitis C FAQs for the public. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/hcv/cfaq.htm. Accessed May 4, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Hepatitis C antiviral therapy (adult). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Florian J, et al. Direct-acting antiviral drugs for treatment of chronic hepatitis C infection: Interferon-free is now. Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics. 2015;98:394.
- Recommendations for testing, managing, and treating hepatitis C. Alexandria, Va.: The American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases. Arlington, Va.: The Infectious Diseases Society of America. http://www.hcvguidelines.org/. Accessed March 28, 2016.
- Liese MD (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 31, 2016.
- Bennett JE, et al. Hepatitis C. In: Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett's Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 4, 2016.
- Chopra S, et al. Clinical manifestations and natural history of chronic hepatitis C virus infection. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 1, 2016.
- Hepatic Encephalopathy. What are the symptoms of HE? American Liver Foundation. http://he123.liverfoundation.org/diagnosis/symptoms-of-he/. Accessed Dec. 1, 2014.
- Lorenz R, et al. Clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and treatment of acute hepatitis C in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 3, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Hepatitis C epidemiology (adult). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Venkatesh SK, et al. Magnetic resonance elastography of the liver: Technique, analysis and clinical applications. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. 2013;37:544.
- Gerstenmaier JF. Ultrasound in chronic liver disease. Insights Into Imaging. 2013;5:441.
- What I need to know about hepatitis C. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/liver-disease/hepatitis-c/Pages/ez.aspx. Accessed June 1, 2016.
- Verna EC. Recurrence of hepatitis C virus infection following liver transplantation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Brown A. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 22, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Hepatitis C emerging treatments (adult). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.