These tips may help you avoid preventable types of hair loss:
July 06, 2016
- Eat a nutritionally balanced diet.
- Avoid tight hairstyles, such as braids, buns or ponytails.
- Avoid compulsively twisting, rubbing or pulling your hair.
- Treat your hair gently when washing and brushing. A wide-toothed comb may help prevent pulling out hair.
- Avoid harsh treatments such as hot rollers, curling irons, hot oil treatments and permanents.
- Hair loss. U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/hairloss.html. Accessed Feb. 9, 2015.
- Hair loss. American Academy of Family Physicians. www.familydoctor.org. Accessed Feb. 9, 2015.
- Hair transplants. American Society for Dermatologic Surgery. www.asds.net. Accessed Feb. 9, 2015.
- Lavender. National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health, National Institutes of Health. https://nccih.nih.gov/health/lavender/ataglance.htm. Accessed Feb. 9, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Alopecia (adult and pediatric). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Hair loss. American Cancer Society. www.cancer.org. Accessed Feb. 9, 2015.
- Hair loss. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://naturaldatabase.therapeutic research.com. Accessed Feb. 9, 2015.
- Van Zuuren EJ, et al. Interventions for female pattern hair loss. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://ovidsp.tx.ovid.com/sp-3.14.0b/ovidweb.cgi. Accessed Feb. 13, 2015.
- Jimenez JJ, et al. Efficacy and safety of a low-level laser device in the treatment of male and female pattern hair loss: A multicenter, randomized, sham device-controlled, double-blind study. American Journal of Clinical Dermatology. 2014;15:115. www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 9, 2015.
- Banka N, et al. Pattern hair loss in men: Diagnosis and treatment. Dermatologic Clinics. 2013;31:129.
- Mirmirati P. Age-related hair changes in men: Mechanisms and management of alopecia and graying. Maturitas. 2015;80:58.
- Champagne C, et al. Hair loss in infancy and childhood. Paediatrics and Child Health. 2014;25:2.
- Second opinion. Mayo Clinic Health Letter. 2013;11:8.
- Hair loss. American Academy of Dermatology. www.aad.org/dermatology-a-to-z/diseases-and-treatments/e---h/hair-loss. Accessed Sept. 30, 2014.
- McMichael A. Female pattern hair loss (androgenetic alopecia in women): Pathogenesis, clinical features and diagnosis. www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 11, 2015.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 15, 2015.
- Safety announcement. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm258314.htm. Accessed March 11, 2015.