Lifestyle and home remedies
If your pain persists or if finding a treatment that works takes some time, you can try measures at home to relieve your discomfort.
- Warm baths and a heating pad can help relax pelvic muscles, reducing cramping and pain.
- Over-the-counter nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others) or naproxen (Aleve, others), can help ease painful menstrual cramps.
- Regular exercise may help improve symptoms.
Coping and support
If you're dealing with endometriosis or its complications, you may want to consider joining a support group for women with endometriosis or fertility problems. Sometimes it helps simply to talk to other women who can relate to your feelings and experiences. If you can't find a support group in your community, look for one on the internet.
Aug. 20, 2016
- Endometriosis. The National Women's Health Information Center. http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/endometriosis.html. Accessed July 26, 2016.
- Schenken RS. Endometriosis: Pathogenesis, clinical features, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 26, 2016.
- Frequently asked questions. Gynecological problems FAQ013. Endometriosis. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq013.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20130305T1348596508. Accessed July 26, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Endometriosis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) Committee on Practice Bulletins — Obstetrics. ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 114: Management of endometriosis. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2010;116:223.
- What is assisted reproductive technology? Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/art/whatis.html. Accessed July 26, 2016.
- Schenken RS. Endometriosis: Treatment of pelvic pain. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 26, 2016.
- Lebovic DI. Endometriosis: Surgical management of pelvic pain. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 26, 2016.
- Pearce CL, et al. Association between endometriosis and risk of histological subtypes of ovarian cancer: A pooled analysis of case-control studies. The Lancet Oncology. 2012;13:385.
- Jameson JL, et al. Endometriosis. In: Endocrinology: Adult and Pediatric. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier Saunders; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 26, 2016.
- Practice Committee of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine. Endometriosis and infertility: A committee opinion. Fertility and Sterility. 2012;98:591.
- Schrager S, et al. Evaluation and treatment of endometriosis. American Family Physician. 2013;87:107.
- Ferri FF. Endometriosis. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2017. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2017. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 26, 2016.
- Burney RO, et al. Pathogenesis and pathophysiology of endometriosis. Fertility and Sterility. 2012;98:511.
- Butler Tobah Y (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 3, 2016.