Preparing for your appointment

By Mayo Clinic Staff

If you've been having trouble achieving orgasm, talk with your primary care doctor. Your doctor may refer you to a specialist — such as a doctor who specializes in male genital problems (urologist), a doctor who specializes in the hormonal systems (endocrinologist), a doctor who diagnoses and treats mental health problems (psychiatrist), or another type of specialist.

Here's some information to help you get ready for your appointment, as well as what to expect from your doctor.

What you can do

To prepare for your appointment:

  • Write down any symptoms you've had, including any that may seem unrelated to delayed ejaculation.
  • Write down key personal information, including any major stresses or recent life changes, illnesses, or changes in medications you take.
  • Make a list of all medications, vitamins, herbal remedies and supplements you take.
  • Take your partner along, if possible. Your partner may be able to provide information that will assist in diagnosing and treating the problem.
  • Write down questions to ask your doctor.

Questions to ask your doctor

For delayed ejaculation, some basic questions to ask your doctor include:

  • What's the most likely cause of my delayed ejaculation?
  • What kinds of tests do I need?
  • Is this problem temporary?
  • What treatments are available, and which one do you recommend for me?
  • I have other health conditions. How can I best manage these conditions together?
  • Is there a generic alternative to the medicine you're prescribing me?
  • Should I see a specialist?
  • Where can I find more information about my condition?

What to expect from your doctor

Being ready to answer your doctor's questions may reserve time to go over any points you want to spend more time on. Your doctor may ask:

  • How long have you had trouble ejaculating? Does it happen only now and then, or is it an ongoing problem?
  • Are you able to ejaculate during sexual intercourse? Or are you able to ejaculate only when your partner directly touches your penis or when you masturbate?
  • If you're able to ejaculate, how long does it take after sexual activity starts?
  • Have you had any changes in sexual desire or any other sexual problems?
  • Are there any problems in your relationship with your sexual partner?
  • Have you had any recent surgeries? Or have you had surgery to the pelvic area, such as surgery to treat an enlarged prostate?
  • What health problems or chronic conditions do you have? Are you taking any medications for these conditions?
  • Have you had any other sexual problems, such as trouble getting or maintaining an erection (erectile dysfunction)?
  • Do you drink alcohol or use illegal drugs? If so, how much?
April 17, 2015