Are there any natural remedies that reduce chronic fatigue associated with chronic fatigue syndrome?
Answer From Brent A. Bauer, M.D.
Researchers have evaluated a variety of natural products for effectiveness against chronic fatigue syndrome. Most results have been disappointing.
Preliminary studies showed encouraging results for a few remedies, including:
- Coenzyme Q10
- Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NADH)
However, many of these promising early results weren't confirmed by follow-up studies, or the original studies were too small to be conclusive. At this time, there's little evidence to recommend any specific natural remedy as a treatment for chronic fatigue.
Dealing with a condition such as chronic fatigue syndrome can be challenging. There's a lot of hype about various treatments and "natural" approaches. As with any dietary supplement, talk to your doctor before adding something new to your care program. Some herbal products can interact with prescription medicines or have other side effects.
June 26, 2020
Get the latest health advice from Mayo Clinic delivered
to your inbox.
Sign up for free, and stay up-to-date on research
advancements, health tips and current health topics,
like COVID-19, plus expert advice on managing your health.
ErrorEmail field is required
ErrorInclude a valid email address
To provide you with the most relevant and helpful information and to understand which
is beneficial, we may combine your e-mail and website usage information with other
information we have about you. If you are a Mayo Clinic Patient,
this could include Protected Health Information (PHI). If we combine this information
with your PHI, we will treat all of that information as PHI,
and will only use or disclose that information as set forth in our notice of privacy
practices. You may opt-out of e-mail communications
at any time by clicking on the Unsubscribe link in the e-mail.
Thank you for Subscribing
Our Housecall e-newsletter will keep you up-to-date
on the latest health information.
We’re sorry! Our system isn’t working. Please try again.
Something went wrong on our side, please try again.
See more Expert Answers
- Natural medicines in the clinical management of chronic fatigue syndrome. Natural Medicines. https://naturalmedicines.therapeuticresearch.com. Accessed April 3, 2018.
- Brown BI. Chronic fatigue syndrome: A personalized integrative medicine approach. Alternative Therapies. 2014;20:29.
- Rakel D, ed. Chronic fatigue syndrome. In: Integrative Medicine. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2018. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 3, 2018.
- Bauer BA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 20, 2018.
Products and Services
- Book: Tired Teens