Alcohol use disorder care at Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic's continuum of addiction services includes:
- Comprehensive assessment. Mayo Clinic offers a comprehensive individual consultation and assessment of your alcohol or other substance use, mental health concerns, and medical status. Then the team recommends a personalized treatment plan. Having a comprehensive plan at the start of treatment ensures that you have the support and structure needed to establish sobriety and progress toward your goals.
- Outpatient program. The Outpatient Addiction Program is a primary, dual-disorder substance use treatment program for individuals 18 years or older. The program offers half-day outpatient addiction services in a four-week program. Other treatment options include various outpatient program levels of care and continuing care programs to assist with extended recovery efforts.
- Intensive program. Mayo Clinic offers a state-of-the-art 30-day Intensive Addiction Program with on-site residence. In this highly confidential and professional setting, patients form a small community and receive 24/7 support in establishing their sobriety and developing recovery skills.
- Continuing care.Your treatment team assists you during every step of the recovery journey, because the right support at the right time gives the greatest opportunity for success. Mayo Clinic offers continuing care recovery group programs after primary care, including the Extended Outpatient Program, the Early Recovery Program and the Recovery Maintenance Program.
Expertise and rankings
- Comprehensive care. At Mayo Clinic, treatment for addictions and mental health issues are combined into a single personalized treatment plan. You also have access to the extensive medical and psychiatric services at Mayo Clinic, if needed.
- Expertise and experience. A psychiatrist who's board certified in addictions leads your treatment team and coordinates your care. You'll work closely with a licensed alcohol and drug addiction counselor or a licensed clinical social worker, and nursing staff members who specialize in addiction treatment. Mayo Clinic sees more than 4,000 patients a year with alcohol use disorder.
- Individualized approach. The ratio of 1 counselor or therapist for every 4 to 5 people receiving treatment for addiction ensures that you receive the individualized approach you need to accomplish your treatment goals.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked as one of the top psychiatry hospitals in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.