The right spine care. The first time.
Mayo Clinic spine care experts offer comprehensive services at Mayo Clinic's campuses in Arizona, Florida and Minnesota. People with a wide range of conditions affecting the spine and limbs find exactly the care they need at Mayo Clinic.
The clinic's spine care experts take an evidence-based, multidisciplinary approach to manage spine disorders. Doctors listen to you and try to identify the true cause of your pain or other symptoms. And then you'll be offered a tailored treatment approach drawn from the full range of treatment options, which include medication, physical therapy and interventional pain management. Surgery is recommended only when it makes sense for you.
Your doctors will talk with you about the tests and procedures that are right for you. Not all services are available at each location. Please confirm when you request an appointment.
The doctors of the spine care specialty group treat conditions from the common to the complex, including:
Mayo Clinic has one of the largest and most experienced practices in the United States, with campuses in Arizona, Florida and Minnesota. Staff skilled in dozens of specialties work together to ensure quality care and successful recovery.
Find doctors and medical staff:
Nearly 40,000 people with spine conditions turn to Mayo Clinic each year. They benefit from the clinic's:
- Personalized care. If you come to Mayo Clinic for spine care, our doctors will listen to you, you'll undergo advanced imaging based on your concerns, and you'll receive an accurate diagnosis. Then you'll work with your doctors to arrive at an individualized treatment plan based on your needs and goals.
- Team-based approach. Mayo Clinic has a team model of care, which means that members of a multidisciplinary group of experts are called in as needed to help you. Having all this expertise in a single place, focused on you, means that you're not just getting one opinion. Your care is discussed among team members, your test results are available quickly and appointments are scheduled in coordination. The most highly specialized experts in the world are working with you. What might take weeks or even months to accomplish elsewhere can typically be done in a matter of days at Mayo Clinic.
- Advanced diagnostics. Mayo Clinic offers the most innovative technology, including high-resolution 3D imaging and 3D modeling.
- Research that improves treatment. Because many of our clinicians are also researchers, they are able to offer the latest in spine care innovation faster.
- Innovative surgical techniques and technology. When surgery is recommended, our surgeons are expert in using minimally invasive techniques, robotic guidance for surgical planning and other advanced technology. These approaches can mean a reduced need for medications and a shorter recovery time.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz., is ranked highly performing for neurology and neurosurgery by U.S. News & World Report.
Your treatment team
Our spine care experts offer team-based comprehensive care for the diagnosis and treatment of your condition. Your multidisciplinary team may include doctors from several medical and surgical specialties, including neurology, radiology, neuroradiology, neurosurgery, anesthesiology, orthopedic surgery, pain medicine, and physical medicine and rehabilitation, including a spinal cord injury rehabilitation program on the Minnesota campus. The specialists on your team work together to discern the cause of your symptoms and to develop a treatment plan based on your needs and wishes. That plan is based on an unbiased review of all available treatment options, follow-up care and rehabilitation.
In addition, our team-based approach to care means you have access to specialists in psychiatry and psychology, nutrition, interventional medicine, and integrative medicine and health.
Your team provides you with coordinated and efficient clinical assessment leading to evidence-based treatment recommendations focused on restoring your function and quality of life.
Innovative diagnosis and treatment
Our spine care experts offer comprehensive evaluation for people with every type of spine condition, from the common to the complex or rare. Your first visit may be with a nonsurgical medical spine specialist — someone with expertise in physical medicine and rehabilitation, neurology, or pain medicine. You'll undergo initial clinical evaluation and diagnostic testing as needed.
Mayo Clinic's advanced diagnostic capabilities include:
- Advanced radiologic techniques, including neuroimaging (MRI or CT myelography), electrophysiology and intraoperative monitoring
- 3D imaging and 3D modeling to help pinpoint a spinal disorder and plan treatment
- Specialized nerve conduction and muscle tests
- Assessment of bone health
Mayo Clinic leads the way in new treatments for minimally invasive surgical techniques and advanced imaging.
- All 3D imaging of the spine (MRI, CT myelography) performed at Mayo Clinic is interpreted by board-certified neuroradiologists.
- The electrodiagnostic labs at Mayo Clinic are some of the busiest and most referenced in the world.
- When people do proceed to surgery, Mayo Clinic surgical teams often perform a nonfusion surgery that's smaller and less invasive than procedures at other medical centers.
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
With state-of-the-art research and laboratory facilities, Mayo Clinic experts are constantly seeking new medical knowledge. A variety of clinical trials and other studies may be available to you as part of your treatment at Mayo Clinic.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care like they've never experienced. See the stories of satisfied Mayo Clinic patients.
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.
At Mayo Clinic's campus in Jacksonville, Florida, massage therapy and botanicals and supplements consults are paid through cash, check or credit card. All other services are billed to insurance.