Mayo Clinic fosters an environment where scientific expertise is combined with clinical insights to create solutions for unmet patient needs. The unrelenting focus of our clinician-researchers and scientists results in improvements in the diagnosis and treatment of neurological conditions. Examples of successes that improve people's lives include:
- Advancing understanding of Alzheimer’s and other neurodegenerative diseases
- Developing new approaches to immunotherapy for a brain tumor called glioblastoma
- Advancing understanding of the complex condition arteriovenous malformation
- Leading a National Institutes of Health study on Lewy body dementia
- Developing an epilepsy treatment model that focuses on whole-person care
- Advancing testing for sports-related concussion
- Preserving vision and easing headaches
- Redefining stroke care by developing a balloon-guided catheter to extract clots
Mayo Clinic has an extensive effort in neurology research, spanning numerous centers, programs and labs across its campuses in Arizona, Florida and Minnesota. Our clinician-researchers and scientists collaborate with colleagues worldwide, contributing to advances in medicine that improve neurological care for people everywhere.
Research labs and focus areas
Explore research labs and neurology focus areas.
Research centers and programs
View all physicians • All Locations
June 26, 2021
- Neurology & Neurologist Surgery Staff & Services Directory. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. 2018.
- Doximity Residency Navigator Neurology. Doximity, Inc. https://residency.doximity.com. Accessed Dec. 16, 2020.
- U.S. News Best Hospitals 2017-18. U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings. Accessed Dec. 16, 2020.
- Mike Boland. Enterprise analytics. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 28, 2018.
- Leading NIH's Lewy body dementia initiative. Neurosciences Update. Mayo Clinic. 2020; 17:2.
- Find an epilepsy center. National Association of Epilepsy Centers. https://www.naec-epilepsy.org/. Accessed Dec. 16, 2020.
- Emergency stroke center locations. National Stroke Association. http://www.stroke.org/understand-stroke/recognizing-stroke/emergency-stroke-center-locations. Accessed Dec. 16, 2020.
- The ALS Association certified centers and clinics. ALS Association. http://www.alsa.org/community/centers-clinics/. Accessed Dec. 16, 2020.
- Lin MP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic. Nov. 27, 2019.
- Morgan J. Profile: Phillip Low: The autonomic expert. Lancet. 2017;doi.org/10.1016/S1474-4422(17)30287-9.
- New approaches to immunotherapy for glioblastoma. Neurosciences Update. Mayo Clinic. 2020; 17:2.
- Whole-patient epilepsy care: Uniting technology and psychosocial expertise. Neurosciences Update. Mayo Clinic. 2019; 16:5.
- Objective testing for sports-related concussion. Neurosciences Update. Mayo Clinic. 2019; 16:4.
- Brinjikni W et al. Impact of balloon guided catheter on technical and clinical outcomes: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Neurointerventional Surgery. 2018; doi:10.1136/neurintsurg-2017-013179.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 20, 2019.
- Alzheimer's disease research centers. National Institute on Aging. https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/alzheimers-disease-research-centers. Accessed Dec. 16, 2020.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic. March 28, 2017.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic. March 30, 2019.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic. July 19, 2017.
- AVMs: Advanced technology and expertise for complex pathology. Neurosciences Update. Mayo Clinic. 2020; 17:2.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic. Jan. 22, 2020.
- Freeman WD (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic. Jan. 25, 2021.
- Sirven JI (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic. April 21, 2021.