- Experience. Mayo Clinic doctors evaluate and treat more than 500 people with encephalitis each year. Early treatment is important to prevent serious complications of encephalitis. Mayo Clinic specialists have experience recognizing the clinical characteristics of encephalitis.
- Teamwork. Mayo Clinic neurologists, neuroradiologists and infectious disease specialists work together to diagnose and treat adults and children with encephalitis. Pediatric neurologists at Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota may be involved in diagnosing and treating children with encephalitis. Specialists at the Neuro-Infectious Diseases Group are frequently involved in care.
- Advanced research. Infectious diseases of the nervous system are among the most challenging neurological disorders. A major focus of Mayo Clinic researchers is to develop new diagnostic markers and treatments for encephalitis.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for neurology and neurosurgery in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery.
Learn more about Mayo Clinic's neurology and infectious diseases departments' expertise and rankings.
June 13, 2017
- Bennett JE, et al. Encephalitis. In: Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett's Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 24, 2017.
- Hardarson HS. Acute viral encephalitis in children: Clinical manifestations and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 31, 2017.
- Ferri FF. Encephalitis, acute viral. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2017. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2017. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 24, 2017.
- AskMayoExpert. Viral encephalitis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Gluckman SJ. Viral encephalitis in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 24, 2017.
- Meningitis and encephalitis fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. https://www.ninds.nih.gov/Disorders/Patient-Caregiver-Education/Fact-Sheets/Meningitis-and-Encephalitis-Fact-Sheet. Accessed Feb. 1, 2017.
- Dorsett M, et al. Diagnosis and treatment of central nervous system infections in the emergency department. Emergency Medical Clinics of North America. 2016;34:917.
- Patel H, et al. Long-term sequelae of West Nile virus-related illness: A systematic review. The Lancet Infections Diseases. 2015;15:951.
- Hardarson HS. Acute viral encephalitis in children: Treatment and prevention. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 31, 2017.
- Daroff RB, et al. Viral encephalitis and meningitis. In: Bradley's Neurology in Clinical Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 1, 2017.
- Zachary KC. Acyclovir: An overview. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 1, 2017.
- Breisch N. Prevention of arthropod and insect bites: Repellents and other measures. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 31, 2017.
- West Nile virus FAQ: Insect repellant use and safety. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/westnile/faq/repellent.html. Accessed Feb. 1, 2017.
- West Nile virus: Prevention & control. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/westnile/prevention/index.html. Accessed Feb. 1, 2017.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 24, 2017.
- Howe CL, et al. Neuroprotection mediated by inhibition of calpain during acute viral encephalitis. Scientific Reports. 2016;6:28699.
- Singh TD, et al. Predictors of outcome in HSV encephalitis. Journal of Neurology. 2016;263:277.
- Wormser GP, et al. Update and commentary on four emerging tick-borne infections. Infectious Disease Clinics of North America. 2015;29:371.