Departments and specialties
Mayo Clinic has one of the largest and most experienced practices in the United States,
with campuses in Arizona, Florida and Minnesota. Staff skilled in dozens of specialties work
together to ensure quality care and successful recovery.
Departments with related expertise
Mayo Clinic doctors and researchers continue to study mitral valve disease, mitral valve repair and mitral valve replacement as part of cardiovascular research efforts. Research involves new techniques to repair and replace mitral valves, such as minimally invasive heart surgery and catheter procedures. You may have the opportunity to participate in clinical trials. Learn more about research in the Cardiovascular Research Center.
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic authors on mitral valve repair or mitral valve replacement on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Mitral valve repair and mitral valve replacement care at Mayo Clinic
Dec. 30, 2017
- What is heart valve disease? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hvd. Accessed Sept. 20, 2016.
- Mitral regurgitation. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/cardiovascular-disorders/valvular-disorders/mitral-regurgitation. Accessed Sept. 23, 2016.
- Mitral stenosis. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/cardiovascular-disorders/valvular-disorders/mitral-stenosis. Accessed Sept. 22, 2016.
- Gaasch WH. Management of chronic primary mitral regurgitation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 16, 2016.
- Otto, CM, et al. Mitral valve repair and replacement. In: Valvular Heart Disease: A Companion to Braunwald's Heart Disease. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier Saunders; 2014.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Getting ready for heart surgery. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2011.
- How can I prepare for heart surgery? American Heart Association. https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/heartsurgery.html. Accessed Sept. 25, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Mitral regurgitation. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Mitral stenosis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Aldea GS. Minimally invasive aortic and mitral valve surgery. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 15, 2016.
- Sorajja P, et al. Initial experience with commercial transcatheter mitral valve repair in the United States. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2016;67:1129.
- Nishimura RA, et al. Mitral valve disease — Current management and future challenges. The Lancet. 2016;387:1324.
- Nishimura RA, et al. 2014 AHA/ACC guideline for the management of patients with valvular heart disease: Executive summary. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 2014;148:e1.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Minimally invasive heart surgery. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- What is heart surgery? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hs. Accessed Sept. 23, 2016.
- Guerrero M, et al. Transcatheter mitral valve replacement in native mitral valve disease with severe mitral annular calcification: Results from the first multicenter global registry. JACC. Cardiovascular Interventions. 2016;9:1361.
- Ruiz CE, et al. Transcatheter therapies for the treatment of valvular and paravalvular regurgitation in acquired and congenital valvular heart disease. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2015;66:169.
- Nietlispach F, et al. Percutaneous paravalvular leak closure: Chasing the chameleon. European Heart Journal. In press. Accessed Sept. 23, 2016.
- Vernick W, et al. Robotic and minimally invasive cardiac surgery. Anesthesiology Clinics. 2013;31:299.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 23, 2016.
- Tordsen BW. Surgical Information Recording System. Sept. 11, 2016.
News, connections and conversations for your health
Mitral valve repair and mitral valve replacement