The Mayo Clinic experience and patient stories
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care like they've never experienced. See the stories of satisfied Mayo Clinic patients.
Expertise and rankings
- Specialized program. For several years, Mayo Clinic has offered treatment in the Complementary and Integrative Medicine Program. This program helps address increased interest in wellness-promoting activities that have not typically been part of conventional medical care.
- Integrative approach. Mayo Clinic complementary and integrative medicine specialists work with other doctors to incorporate appropriate complementary therapies and wellness programs into the treatment plan. Mayo Clinic's program follows the principles of the Consortium of Academic Health Centers for Integrative Medicine.
- Evidence-based approach. Mayo Clinic doctors are committed to providing evidence-based care and use only the complementary and integrative therapies that have been tested for effectiveness and safety. They can provide you with information about the risks and benefits of alternative medicine treatments. Mayo researchers conduct studies to improve complementary and integrative medicine treatments.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.
Jan. 24, 2014
- What is complementary and alternative medicine? National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. National Institutes of Health. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/whatiscam. Accessed Sept. 20, 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. Complementary and alternative medicine. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Tilburt JC, et al. Alternative medicine research in clinical practice: A U.S. national survey. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2009;169:670.
- Consortium of Academic Health Centers for Integrative Medicine (CAHCIM). http://www.imconsortium.org. Accessed Sept. 20, 2013.
- Complementary and integrative medicine program. Mayo Clinic. http://www.mayo.edu/research/centers-programs/complementary-integrative-medicine/complementary-integrative-medicine-program/overview. Accessed Sept. 20, 2013.
Complementary and alternative medicine