Cancer rehabilitation is a program that helps people with cancer maintain and restore physical and emotional well-being. Cancer rehabilitation is available before, during and after cancer treatment.
Cancer rehabilitation involves many types of specialists working together to develop a personal rehabilitation plan that considers your preferences, strengths and goals. Participating in the cancer rehabilitation program may help you experience a fuller or quicker recovery.
Cancer rehabilitation professionals at Mayo Clinic offer the help and expertise that you need to:
- Improve your endurance, strength and mobility
- Increase your confidence and self-esteem
- Make the activities of daily living and caring for yourself easier
- Help you cope with anxiety, distress or other emotional issues
- Reduce fatigue, pain and other lingering side effects
- Return to work
- Formulate a long-term plan for cancer survivorship
The cancer rehabilitation services at Mayo Clinic can benefit all people with cancer who experience a change in quality of life after diagnosis, including all types and stages of cancer.
Why it's done
Cancer rehabilitation is a program that helps people with cancer maintain and restore their physical and emotional well-being. It can help people with cancer recover more quickly and more fully from cancer treatment.
Explore Mayo Clinic studies of tests and procedures to help prevent, detect, treat or manage conditions.
Cancer rehabilitation care at Mayo Clinic
June 29, 2021
- Cifu DX, ed. Cancer rehabilitation. In: Braddom's Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. 5th ed. Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 22, 2020.
- DeVita VT Jr, et al., eds. Rehabilitation of the cancer patient. In: DeVita, Hellman, and Rosenberg's Cancer: Principles & Practice of Oncology. 11th ed. Wolters Kluwer; 2019.