Eye pain can occur on the surface of your eye or within your eye's deeper structures. Severe eye pain — especially accompanied by any degree of vision loss — may be a signal that you have a serious medical condition. Seek immediate medical attention.
Eye pain that's on the surface of your eye might be described as itching, burning or shooting pain. Surface eye pain is often related to a foreign object in your eye, an eye infection, or anything that irritates or inflames the membrane covering the surface of your eye.
You might describe eye pain originating deeper within your eye as throbbing or aching.
March 11, 2021
From Mayo Clinic to your inbox
Sign up for free, and stay up to date on research advancements, health tips and current health topics, like COVID-19, plus expertise on managing health.
ErrorEmail field is required
ErrorInclude a valid email address
To provide you with the most relevant and helpful information, and understand which
information is beneficial, we may combine your email and website usage information with
other information we have about you. If you are a Mayo Clinic patient, this could
include protected health information. If we combine this information with your protected
health information, we will treat all of that information as protected health
information and will only use or disclose that information as set forth in our notice of
privacy practices. You may opt-out of email communications at any time by clicking on
the unsubscribe link in the e-mail.
Thank you for subscribing!
You'll soon start receiving the latest Mayo Clinic health information you requested in your inbox.
Sorry something went wrong with your subscription
Please, try again in a couple of minutes
- Eye pain. Merck Manual Professional Version. https://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/eye-disorders/symptoms-of-ophthalmologic-disorders/eye-pain. Accessed Feb. 3, 2021.
- Jacobs DS. Overview of the red eye. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Feb. 3, 2021.
- Ferri FF. E — Differential diagnosis. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2021. Elsevier; 2021. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 3, 2021.
- AskMayoExpert. Red or painful eye. Mayo Clinic; 2019.
- Pain in eye. American Academy of Ophthalmology. https://www.aao.org/eye-health/symptoms/pain-in-eye-3. Accessed Feb. 3, 2021.
- Skorin L, et al. Ectropion: Classification, diagnosis, and management. Consultant. 2018;58:e180.
- Walls RM, et al., eds. Red and painful eye. In: Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 9th ed. Elsevier; 2018. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 3, 2021.
- Dry eye. American Academy of Ophthalmology https://www.aao.org/eye-health/diseases/what-is-dry-eye. Accessed Feb. 3, 2021.
- Softing Hataye AL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 4, 2019.