Eye pain can occur on the surface of your eye or within your eye's deeper structures. Severe eye pain — especially accompanied by any degree of vision loss — may be a signal that you have a serious medical condition. Seek immediate medical attention.
Eye pain that's on the surface of your eye might be described as itching, burning or shooting pain. Surface eye pain is often related to a foreign object in your eye, an eye infection, or anything that irritates or inflames the membrane covering the surface of your eye.
You might describe eye pain originating deeper within your eye as throbbing or aching.
Feb. 14, 2019
- Eye pain. Merck Manual Professional Version. https://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/eye-disorders/symptoms-of-ophthalmologic-disorders/eye-pain. Accessed Jan. 15, 2019.
- Jacobs DS. Overview of the red eye. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Jan. 15, 2019.
- Ferri FF. Eye pain. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2019. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2019. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 15, 2019.
- AskMayoExpert. Painful or red eye. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2018.
- Pain in eye. American Academy of Ophthalmology. https://www.aao.org/eye-health/symptoms/pain-in-eye-3. Accessed Jan. 15, 2019.
- Skorin L, et al. Ectropion: Classification, diagnosis, and management. Consultant. 2018;58:e180.
- Walls RM, et al., eds. Red and painful eye. In: Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2018. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 15, 2019.
- Dry eye. American Academy of Ophthalmology. https://www.aao.org/eye-health/diseases/what-is-dry-eye. Accessed Jan. 7, 2019.
- Softing Hataye AL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 4, 2019.