When to seek medical advice

Talk to your doctor if your child:

  • Has ear pain
  • Has discharge of blood, pus or clear fluid from the ear
  • Pulls at or scratches his or her ear

Also, talk to your doctor if your child shows signs of persistent decreased hearing. If your child isn't hearing well, he or she may:

  • Have delays in speech development or unclear speech
  • Respond to sounds inconsistently
  • Not respond to instructions or being called
  • Not understand speech
  • Turn up music or the television

Ear problems in children

Find possible causes of decreased hearing based on specific factors. Check one or more factors on this page that apply to your symptom.

Triggered by
Preceded by
Accompanied by