Safe lodging checklist: Start by asking 5 questions
Booking a place to stay today should include checking safety measures. Mayo Clinic Patient Travel Services is a great option for most travelers. After business hours, turn to this checklist, which reflects the vetting Patient Travel Services completes before recommending a hotel property to patients.
- What are your booking and cancellation policies?
- Is there an option to ask for a previously vacant room (48 to 72 hours)?
- How long are rooms vacant between guest stays?
- What's your cancellation policy for health reasons?
- Are social distancing measures (spacing) visibly apparent and verbally reinforced?
- In the lobby?
- At the front desk?
- In parking areas?
- What safe food and beverage options do you offer?
- Are there prepackaged foods and grab-and-go items?
- Has traditional room service been replaced with a no-contact delivery method?
- What precautions have been added to traditional buffet service? Does staff wear personal protective equipment (PPE) during service?
- Can you tell me about your enhanced cleaning policies?
- Are surfaces in public and communal areas cleaned multiple times a day?
- Are elevators cleaned at regular intervals throughout day?
- How are food preparation and laundry areas cleaned?
- What's your masking policy? Are masks required or suggested?
Optional, more-rigorous questions
Mayo Clinic Patient Travel Services staff also confirms that lodging properties adhere to the following safety measures before recommending them to you.
Do your employees receive safety training?
- Hand-washing procedures?
- Facility sanitation protocols?
- Use of PPE?
Do you offer safety and sanitation training from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for staff with frequent guest contact?
- Food and beverage?
- Public area department?
- Hotel operations?
- Valet, door and bell services?
- Maintenance and engineering?
Do you notify local health officials when you encounter the following health issues?
- Guest health concerns?
- Employee health concerns?
- Any confirmed cases of COVID-19?
Do you follow recommended safety protocols when you encounter a confirmed case of COVID-19?
- Closing affected guest rooms?
- Disinfecting affected guest rooms?
- Room recovery protocol (quarantine)?
- June 02, 2020