Acceptable masks at Mayo Clinic
All patients, staff and visitors are required to wear a mask while on Mayo Clinic property.
See visual examples of acceptable COVID-19 masks (PDF).
- Homemade masks that cover the nose and mouth
- Surgical or procedural masks (tie or ear loop)
- Dust masks
- N95 masks without vents
- N95 respirators are preferred for health care personnel during specific care activities.
- Patients or visitors arriving with an N95 masks may continue using them.
- Masks with vents
- Why? Masks with vents or exhalation valves allow unfiltered exhaled air to escape.
- Such masks are an unacceptable form of source control as a universal mask while on Mayo Clinic property.
- Aug. 01, 2020