Cancer Education Services at the Arizona campuses
NOTICE: The patient libraries at Mayo Clinic’s Arizona campuses are closed until further notice, to avoid transmission risk during the COVID-19 pandemic. Please visit the Cancer Education Center page on connect.mayoclinic.org for cancer-related education, recorded classes and resources. Thanks for your understanding.
Health care information is central to a patient's cancer care plan at Mayo Clinic. Excellent research capabilities and patient care make Mayo Clinic a reliable, up-to-date source of cancer information for patients, their loved ones and the public.
Patients are encouraged to use information to become active participants in their cancer care and more fully discuss their treatment with health care team members.
Cancer education services
Mayo Clinic offers information on cancer prevention, diagnosis, treatment, integrative therapies, coping strategies and caregiving. The resources below are available to patients and visitors at no cost:
- Classes — Daily group classes on chemotherapy treatment are taught by a certified oncology nurse. Additional classes on treatments and other topics are available in group and one-on-one settings. Please see the calendar of events or talk with your health care provider to learn more about available classes.
- Cancer Center Patient Navigator — The Patient Navigator assists patients and families with educational resource and referral needs. Navigators help patients find their way through the medical system and assist with Internet resources, books and periodicals, services, support groups, supplies, materials, and medical equipment. The Patient Navigator's office is located in the Phoenix campus patient library. Request an appointment by calling (480) 342-4229 or stop in to see if someone is available. Navigators provide:
- Assistance and resources for financial, lodging and transportation needs
- Information and schedules for classes and support groups
- Patient education materials on cancer topics
- Libraries – Mayo Clinic’s Arizona campuses have two patient education libraries, one in the Mayo Clinic Building – Scottsdale, and one in the Mayo Clinic Building – Phoenix. The libraries are open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, Mountain time. Visit the patient library webpage for more information and contact info. The libraries provide:
- Books, pamphlets, and brochures on cancer topics
- Access to cancer-related computer resources
- Librarians to assist with finding and using information
Mayo Clinic hosts an annual symposium at the Arizona campus for patients and family members living with cancer. The symposium provides easy-to-understand information on the diagnosis and treatment of cancer, with specific breakout sessions on several kinds of cancer.
Other Resources for Cancer Information
Patients can find reliable, current information from MayoClinic.org, the American Cancer Society and the National Cancer Institute.
Information about clinical trials can be accessed at Clinical Trials at Mayo Clinic, ClinicalTrials.gov and TrialCheck.
- April 28, 2020