Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), or sexually transmitted infections (STIs), are infections usually acquired though unprotected sexual contact with someone who's infected.
But, you can't always tell if someone is infected, because many STIs cause no symptoms. In fact, many people who have an STI don't know it.
That's why you have to be vigilant about STI prevention. Barrier methods of birth control, such as condoms, also help reduce your risk of getting most STIs. If you're sexually active, having just one partner who agrees to remain sexually exclusive with you can also help prevent STIs.
Oct. 08, 2019
- AskMayoExpert. Sexuality in the setting of aging, chronic illness, or disability. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research;2019.
- Start the conversation. American Sexual Health Association. http://www.ashasexualhealth.org/parents/how-to-start-the-conversation/. Accessed Sept. 7, 2019.
- Information for teens and young adults: Staying healthy and preventing STDs. U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/std/life-stages-populations/stdfact-teens.htm. Accessed Sept. 7, 2019.
- Rietmeijer K. Prevention of sexually transmitted infections. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Sept. 7, 2019.
- Forcier M. Adolescent sexuality. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Sept. 7, 2019.
- Granville L, et al. Women's sexual health and aging. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2018; doi: 10.1111/jgs.15198.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Committee on Gynecologic practice. Committee Opinion No. 706: Sexual health. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2017; doi: 10.1097/AOG.0000000000002154.
- Recognize problems. American Sexual Health Association. http://www.ashasexualhealth.org/sexual-health/mens-health/recognize-problems/. Accessed Sept. 7, 2019.
- Sexuality in later life. National Institute on Aging. https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/sexuality-later-life. Accessed Sept. 7, 2019.
- Hehemann MC, et al. Penile girth enlargement strategies: What's the evidence? Sexual Medicine Reviews. 2019; doi.org/10.1016/j.sxmr.2018.11.003.
- Wildman L, et al. Assessment of parent-based interventions for adolescent sexual health: A systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA Pediatrics. 2019; doi:10.1001/jamapediatrics.2019.2324.