Does frequent masturbation affect male fertility?
Answer From Patricio C. Gargollo, M.D.
Frequent male masturbation isn't likely to have much effect on your fertility.
Some data shows that optimum semen quality occurs after two to three days of no ejaculation. But other research suggests that men who have normal sperm quality maintain normal sperm motility and concentrations even with daily ejaculation.
Ultimately, having sexual intercourse with ejaculation several times a week will maximize your chances of getting your partner pregnant, whether you masturbate or not.
Nov. 12, 2020
Patricio C. Gargollo, M.D.
See more Expert Answers
- Mayorga-Torres BJM, et al. Influence of ejaculation frequency on seminal parameters. Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology. 2015; doi:10.1186/s12958-015-0045-9.
- Welliver C, et al. Analysis of semen parameters during 2 weeks of daily ejaculation: A first in humans study. Translational Andrology and Urology. 2016; doi:10.21037/tau.2016.08.20.
- Partin AW, et al., eds. Male infertility. In: Campbell-Walsh-Wein Urology. 12th ed. Elsevier; 2021. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 21, 2020.
- Hornstein MD, et al. Optimizing natural fertility in couples planning pregnancy. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Oct. 21, 2020.
- Practice Committee of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine in collaboration with the Society for Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility. Optimizing natural fertility: A committee opinion. Fertility and Sterility. 2017; doi:10.1016/j.fertnstert.2016.09.029.