Sexual health is important for a man's well-being, whether you're trying to prevent pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections or you're worried about erectile dysfunction or other problems related to men's sexual health.
For some men, worries about penis size top the list of their sexual health concerns. However, you're probably more normal than you think — and penis-enlargement products and procedures aren't likely to be effective and may have risks.
As you get older, understand common changes in men's sexual health — and how to maintain a healthy and enjoyable sex life at any age.
Oct. 08, 2019
Get the latest health advice from Mayo Clinic delivered
to your inbox.
Sign up for free, and stay up-to-date on research
advancements, health tips and current health topics,
like COVID-19, plus expert advice on managing your health.
ErrorEmail field is required
ErrorInclude a valid email address
Get more in-depth expert advice.
To provide you with the most relevant and helpful information and to understand which
is beneficial, we may combine your e-mail and website usage information with other
information we have about you. If you are a Mayo Clinic Patient,
this could include Protected Health Information (PHI). If we combine this information
with your PHI, we will treat all of that information as PHI,
and will only use or disclose that information as set forth in our notice of privacy
practices. You may opt-out of e-mail communications
at any time by clicking on the Unsubscribe link in the e-mail.
Thank you for Subscribing
Our Housecall e-newsletter will keep you up-to-date
on the latest health information.
We’re sorry! Our system isn’t working. Please try again.
Something went wrong on our side, please try again.
- AskMayoExpert. Sexuality in the setting of aging, chronic illness, or disability. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research;2019.
- Start the conversation. American Sexual Health Association. http://www.ashasexualhealth.org/parents/how-to-start-the-conversation/. Accessed Sept. 7, 2019.
- Information for teens and young adults: Staying healthy and preventing STDs. U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/std/life-stages-populations/stdfact-teens.htm. Accessed Sept. 7, 2019.
- Rietmeijer K. Prevention of sexually transmitted infections. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Sept. 7, 2019.
- Forcier M. Adolescent sexuality. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Sept. 7, 2019.
- Granville L, et al. Women's sexual health and aging. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2018; doi: 10.1111/jgs.15198.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Committee on Gynecologic practice. Committee Opinion No. 706: Sexual health. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2017; doi: 10.1097/AOG.0000000000002154.
- Recognize problems. American Sexual Health Association. http://www.ashasexualhealth.org/sexual-health/mens-health/recognize-problems/. Accessed Sept. 7, 2019.
- Sexuality in later life. National Institute on Aging. https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/sexuality-later-life. Accessed Sept. 7, 2019.
- Hehemann MC, et al. Penile girth enlargement strategies: What's the evidence? Sexual Medicine Reviews. 2019; doi.org/10.1016/j.sxmr.2018.11.003.
- Wildman L, et al. Assessment of parent-based interventions for adolescent sexual health: A systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA Pediatrics. 2019; doi:10.1001/jamapediatrics.2019.2324.