Care at Mayo Clinic for TMJ disorders
- Team approach. For complicated problems, team members work together to address your TMJ disorder in a coordinated way. Your team may include a dentist, oral and maxillofacial surgeon, pain management specialist, and others, if needed.
- Diagnostic and treatment options. Mayo clinic experts can offer advanced diagnostic evaluations and a variety of treatment options for TMJ disorders, including medication, therapies and surgery.
- Surgical treatment. It's rare to need surgery on the temporomandibular joint, but when it's necessary, Mayo Clinic oral and maxillofacial surgeons have extensive experience in the full range of TMJ surgical procedures, from arthroscopic surgery to open-joint surgery.
Expertise and rankings
- Comprehensive care. Mayo Clinic's experts in oral and maxillofacial surgery and other areas as needed work together to provide comprehensive care for TMJ disorders.
- Expertise and experience. Mayo Clinic oral and maxillofacial surgeons have extensive experience treating even difficult TMJ disorders, treating more than 1,200 patients a year with TMJ disorders.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.
Dec. 28, 2018