Traveling for medical care is never easy. The COVID-19 pandemic adds challenges. Here’s how to travel safely right now.
Plan your itinerary
- Check the latest CDC travel recommendations.
- Minimize stops and avoid close contact with others.
- Plan meals, even if it’s just packing sandwiches.
Pack for safety
- A cloth face covering
- Disinfecting wipes
- Hand sanitizer containing at least 60% alcohol
- Credit card to avoid handling cash and coins
- Enough clothes to avoid re-wearing items
Have a daily eating plan
- Research grocery stores, carryout restaurants and patient cafeterias.
- Book lodging with a fridge and microwave.
- Wash hotel plates, cups and silverware before use.
- Carry nonperishable food and snacks.
Stay on top of cleaning and disinfecting
- Wash your hands often with soap and water.
- Ask about safety precautions before you book lodging.
- Disinfect high-touch hotel surfaces (doorknobs, light switches, remote controls).
- Wash cloth face coverings in hot, soapy water every day.