Mayo Clinic is a leader in pancreas transplantation, performing more than 50 each year.
Our surgeons are experts in helping people with complex health needs. These include people who need both a pancreas and kidney transplant, select patients with type 2 diabetes and treated HIV, and those who could benefit from islet cell transplantation. Islet transplants give you needed insulin-producing wells without removing your pancreas and are available only through FDA-approved clinical trials.
Mayo Clinic surgeons have performed hundreds of successful pancreas transplants since 1987 and contributed to the science of transplantation, making pancreas transplants safer and available to more people.
Pancreas transplant outcomes at Mayo Clinic compare favorably with the national average.
Learn more about Mayo Clinic's quality rankings.
Nationally recognized expertise
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for diabetes and endocrinology in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., is ranked highly performing for diabetes and endocrinology by U.S. News & World Report.
Jan. 17, 2018
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Pancreas transplant. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- U.S. News & World Report. U.S. News Best Hospitals 2015-16. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings. Accessed Feb. 22, 2016.
- Robertson RP. Pancreas and islet cell transplantation in diabetes mellitus. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 7, 2016.
- Klein C, et al. Benefits and complications associated with kidney-pancreas transplantation in diabetes mellitus. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 7, 2016.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Planning for your transplant: A financial guide. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Riggin ER. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 6, 2016.
- Eggebraaten KR (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 18, 2016.
- Heilman RL, et al. Immunosuppression in simultaneous pancreas-kidney transplantation. Drugs. 2010;70:793.
- Lu B, et al. Beta-cell targeted gene delivery for enhanced beta-cell proliferation. Human Gene Therapy. 2015;26:A63.
- Stulak JM, et al. Combined heart and abdominal organ transplantation: Excellent outcomes gained from a unique experience. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation. 2014;33(suppl):S278.
- Kudva YC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 14, 2016.
- Pancreas Transplant. National Kidney Foundation. https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/pancreastx. Accessed April 12, 2016.
Pancreas Transplant Program