Mayo Clinic heart transplant surgeons have performed hundreds of procedures since the heart transplant program began in 1988.
Mayo Clinic doctors' experience and integrated team approach result in transplant outcomes that compare favorably with national averages. Teams work with transplant recipients before, during and after surgery to ensure the greatest likelihood of superior results.
Volumes and statistics are maintained separately for the three Mayo Clinic locations. Taken together or separately, transplant patients at Mayo Clinic enjoy excellent results.
A total of 44 heart transplants were performed at Mayo Clinic in Arizona in 2017. More than 276 heart transplants have been completed since the program began in 2005.
A total of 23 heart transplants were performed at Mayo Clinic in Florida in 2017. More than 300 heart transplants and eight heart-lung transplants have been completed since the program began in 2001. Mayo surgeons have performed combined transplants, such as heart-kidney and heart-lung-liver transplants.
Mayo Clinic's outcomes for heart transplantation compare favorably with national norms. Doctors at Mayo Clinic in Minnesota have transplanted more than 650 adult and pediatric patients, including both isolated heart transplants and combined transplants such as heart-liver, heart-kidney and others. The program began in 1988.
Each of the links below connects to an external site, the Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients, which provides many metrics gathered from transplant programs across the United States.
Heart Transplant — Adult
Heart Transplant — Children
Heart/Lung Transplant — Adult
Feb. 06, 2018
- Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients. http://www.srtr.org/default.aspx. Accessed May 13, 2016.
- U.S. News & World Report. U.S. News Best Hospitals 2015-16. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings. Accessed Feb. 22, 2016.
- Cook AJ. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 2, 2014.
- Heart transplant program to resume in fall of 1986. Mayovox. 1986:37;1.
- Mancini D. Indications and contraindications for cardiac transplantation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 22, 2016.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Heart transplant. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Yip DS (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. June 20, 2016.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Your child's heart transplant. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Johnson JN (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 20, 2016.
- Vucicevic D, et al. Sirolimus based immunosuppression results in lower incidence of post-transplantation lymphoproliferative disorders in heart transplant recipients. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation. 2015;34:s86.
- Kalya A, et al. Role of total artificial heart in the management of heart transplant rejection and retransplantation: Case report and review. Clinical Transplantation. 2013;27:e348.
- Shankar N, et al. LVAD implant as a bridge to heart transplantation is associated with allosensitization as measured by single antigen bead assay. Transplantation. 2013;96:324.
- Barbara DW, et al. The perioperative management of patients undergoing combined heart-liver transplantation. Transplantation. 2015;99:139.
- Burkhart HM, et al. Regenerative therapy for hypoplastic left heart syndrome: First report of intraoperative intramyocardial injection of autologous umbilical-cord blood-derived cells. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 2015;149:e35. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S002252231401602X. Accessed May 5, 2016.
- Pundi KN, et al. 40-year follow-up after the Fontan operation: Long-term outcomes of 1,052 patients. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2015;66:1700.
- Rosenbaum AN, et al. Current indications, strategies and outcomes with cardiac transplantation for cardiac amyloidosis and sarcoidosis. Current Opinion in Organ Transplantation. 2015;20:584.
- Grupper A, et al. Increased risk of antibody mediated rejection and subsequent allograft vasculopathy in women post cardiac transplantation. Journal of Women's Health. 2015;24:A-16.
- Rosenbaum AN, et al. Association between early cardiac rehabilitation and long-term survival in cardiac transplant recipients. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2016;91:149.
- Medical practice report: Heart transplant. Press Ganey. http://www.pressganey.com/. Accessed May 24, 2016.
- Khandhar SJ, et al. Optical coherence tomography for characterization of cardiac allograft vasculopathy after heart transplantation. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation. 2013;32:596.
- Mayo Clinic Children's Center becomes first accredited pediatric heart failure institute in Minnesota and fourth in the nation (news release). http://www.evaluategroup.com/Universal/View.aspx?type=Story&id=458981. Accessed June 27, 2016.
- Doctors name America's top residency programs (news release). U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/health-news/top-doctors/articles/2014/02/20/doctors-name-americas-top-residency-programs. Accessed June 27, 2016.
- Centers of excellence. Extracorporeal Life Support Organization. https://www.elso.org/Excellence/CentersofExcellence.aspx. Accessed June 27, 2016.
- Heilman RL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz. June 24, 2016.