Nicholas Pulos, M.D., is an orthopedic hand and microvascular surgeon with special interest in pediatric upper extremity injuries and congenital differences. His clinical focus includes:
- Providing comprehensive evaluation and surgical management of congenital hand and upper extremity differences.
- Upper extremity reconstruction in patients with brachial plexus injuries.
- Expertise in the management of complex upper extremity bone, soft tissue and nerve injuries.
- Promoting wide awake hand surgery in a variety of procedures.
- Using multimodal pain strategies to maximize comfort and minimize opioid use following surgery.
As a hand surgeon in United States Navy Reserves, Dr. Pulos previously served at Naval Medical Center San Diego treating Sailors, Marines, Veterans and their families. Dr. Pulos has authored several journal articles and book chapters on the treatment of adult and pediatric upper extremity conditions.
Dr. Pulos is a candidate member of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH) and the American Association for Hand Surgery (AAHS). He is passionate about resident education, mentoring and training the next generation of orthopedic and hand surgeons.
- Brachial plexus exploration
- Brachial plexus reconstruction
- Brachial plexus surgery
- Clubhand reconstruction
- Free muscle transfer
- Hand fracture treatment
- Hypoplastic thumb reconstruction
- Joint replacement
- Microvascular surgery
- Polydactyly reconstruction
- Syndactyly reconstruction
- Vascularized bone grafting
- Wrist fracture treatment
- Wrist reconstruction
- Reconstruction of brachial plexus birth palsies and traumatic brachial plexus injuries
- Management of fracture nonunions with vascularized bone grafts
- Peripheral nerve surgery
- Wide awake hand surgery
- Multimodal pain strategies
Mayo Clinic locations
Fellow - A.C. and Eleanor M. Garison Fellowship in Hand and Upper Limb TreatmentTexas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children
FellowHand Surgery, Programs in Rochester, Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
Resident - Orthopedic SurgeryHospital of the University of Pennsylvania
Internship - General SurgeryHospital of the University of Pennsylvania
MDUniversity of Pennsylvania
BA - Urban Studies, EconomicsUniversity of Pennsylvania
Activities and honors
Awards and honors
Alice D. Jensen Fellowship in Hand Surgery Honoring Dr. Julian BrunerMayo Clinic
DeForest P. Willard Award for Outstanding Senior Orthopaedic ResidentUniversity of Pennsylvania
Departmental Honors, Urban StudiesUniversity of Pennsylvania
Magna Cum LaudeUniversity of Pennsylvania
Tutor of the YearUniversity of Pennsylvania
Dean's ListUniversity of Pennsylvania
- 2017 - present
Candidate MemberAmerican Association for Hand Surgery
- 2015 - present
Emerging Leader MemberAmerican Orthopaedic Association
- 2014 - present
Candidate MemberAmerican Society for Surgery of the Hand
- 2013 - present
- 2013 - present
MemberSociety of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons
- 2011 - present
Candidate MemberAmerican Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons