Talk to your doctor if wheezing is mild and is happening for the first time, it's a recurrent, unexplained problem, or it's accompanied by:
- Difficulty breathing
- Rapid breathing
- Briefly bluish skin color
Seek emergency care if wheezing:
- Begins suddenly after being stung by a bee, taking medication or eating an allergy-causing food
- Is accompanied by severe difficulty breathing or bluish skin color
- Occurs after choking on a small object or food
In some cases, wheezing can be relieved by certain medications or use of an inhaler. In others, you might need treatment such as having a breathing tube put down your throat.
To ease wheezing, try these tips:
April 15, 2014
- Moisturize the air. Use a humidifier, take a steamy shower or sit in the bathroom with the door closed while running a hot shower. Moist air might help relieve mild wheezing in some instances.
- Drink fluids. Warm liquids can relax the airway and loosen up sticky mucus in your throat.
- Avoid tobacco smoke. Active or passive smoking can worsen a cough.
- Take all prescribed medications. Follow the doctor's instructions.
- Irwin RS. Evaluation of wheezing illnesses other than asthma in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 31, 2013.
- Weiss LN. The diagnosis of wheezing in children. American Family Physician. 2008;77:1109.
- Fakhoury K. Wheezing illnesses other than asthma in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 31, 2013.
- Wheezing. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec05/ch045/ch045j.html#. Accessed July 31, 2013.
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 31, 2013.
- Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 31, 2013.
- What is COPD? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/copd/. Accessed Aug. 8, 2013.
- Fakhoury K. Approach to wheezing in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 31, 2013.
- Schmitt BD. Pediatric Telephone Protocols. 14th ed. Elk Grove Village, Ill.: American Academy of Pediatrics; 2013:14.
- What is asthma? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/asthma/. Accessed Aug. 13, 2013.