Mayo Clinic doctors trained in neurology, neurosurgery and other areas study genetics, risks, potential diagnostic tests and treatments for epilepsy.
Mayo Clinic researchers have studied magnetic resonance imaging, subtraction ictal SPECT coregistered to MRI (SISCOM), electroencephalography, ketogenic diet, deep brain stimulation, epilepsy surgery and many other areas. Read more about Mayo Clinic research in epilepsy and epilepsy and neurophysiology.
See a list of publications on epilepsy by Mayo Clinic doctors on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Read about pediatric epilepsy management at Mayo Clinic, surgical management of intractable seizures in children with epilepsy and seizure prediction.
May. 31, 2013
- Seizures and epilepsy: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/epilepsy/detail_epilepsy.htm. Accessed Jan. 18, 2013.
- Schachter SC. Evaluation of the first seizure in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 18, 2013.
- Is an emergency room visit needed? Epilepsy Foundation. http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/aboutepilepsy/firstaid/is-an-emergency-room-visit-needed.cfm. Accessed Jan. 28, 2013.
- Injuries from seizures. Epilepsy Foundation. http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/aboutepilepsy/healthrisks/injuriesfromseizures.cfm. Accessed Jan. 28, 2013.
- Fact sheet on seizure-related causes of death and preventative measures. Epilepsy Foundation. http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/resources/newsroom/pressreleases/Fact-Sheet-on-Seizure-Related-Causes-of-Death-and-Preventative-Measures.cfm. Accessed Jan. 28, 2013.
- Schachter SC. Sudden unexpected death in epilepsy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 18, 2013.
- Frequently asked questions. Epilepsy Foundation. http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/aboutepilepsy/faq.cfm. Accessed Jan. 28, 2013.
- Neurological diagnostic tests and procedures. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/misc/diagnostic_tests.htm. Accessed Jan. 28, 2013.
- Hirsch LJ, et al. Neuroimaging in the evaluation of seizures and epilepsy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 18, 2013.
- Karceski S. Initial treatment of epilepsy in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 18, 2013.
- Schachter SC. Overview of the management of epilepsy in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 18, 2013.
- Wetjen NM, et al. Subtraction ictal single-photon emission computed tomography coregistered to magnetic resonance imaging in evaluating the need for repeated epilepsy surgery. Journal of Neurosurgery. 2006;105:71.
- Noe KH. Seizures: Diagnosis and management in the outpatient setting. Seminars in Neurology. 2011;31:54.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Surgical treatment for seizures. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2004.
- O'Brien TJ, et al. Subtraction SPECT co-registered to MRI improves postictal SPECT localization of seizure foci. Neurology. 1999;52:137.
- Lyons MK. Deep brain stimulation: Current and future clinical applications. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2011;86:662.
- U.S. News best hospitals 2012-2013. U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings. Accessed Jan. 25, 2013.
- First responders. Epilepsy Foundation. http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/livingwithepilepsy/firstresponders/. Accessed Jan. 31, 2013.
- Staying healthy. Epilepsy Foundation. http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/livingwithepilepsy/healthandwellness/stayinghealthy/index.cfm. Accessed Jan. 31, 2013.
- Transportation. Epilepsy Foundation. http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/livingwithepilepsy/parentsandcaregivers/caregivers/transportation.cfm. Accessed Jan. 31, 2013.
- First aid. Epilepsy Foundation. http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/aboutepilepsy/firstaid/index.cfm. Accessed Jan. 31, 2013.
- Finding employment. Epilepsy Foundation. http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/livingwithepilepsy/employmenttopics/findingemployment.cfm. Accessed Feb. 4, 2013.
- Romanelli P, et al. Non-resective surgery and radiosurgery for treatment of drug-resistant epilepsy. Epilepsy Research. 2012;99:193.
- Worrell GA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 29, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.