Expertise and rankings
- Experience. Mayo Clinic doctors and staff have helped thousands of people recover from traumatic spinal cord injuries and nontraumatic spinal disorders. The Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) has accredited the Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Program at Mayo Clinic in Minnesota.
Integrated team. Mayo Clinic's spinal cord injury rehabilitation team is led by doctors trained in muscle physiology and rehabilitation, bone and muscle surgery (orthopedic surgeons), and doctors trained in brain and nervous system surgery (neurosurgeons).
Your treatment team also includes nurses, doctors trained in mental health (psychologists), social workers, physical, occupational and recreational therapists, and Mayo's many other specialists as your situation demands.
- Individualized care. You and your rehabilitation team will create an individualized treatment plan to meet your needs and achieve your goals. You and your family are considered an integral part of the treatment team involved in making decisions, setting treatment goals and planning your discharge arrangements.
- Treatment and follow-up care. Mayo Clinic doctors trained in physical medicine and rehabilitation and other staff offer a full range of spinal cord injury rehabilitation services for you, from intensive hospital care to continued care through your lifetime. Your spinal cord injury rehabilitation team provides inpatient rehabilitation, outpatient rehabilitation and lifelong care.
- Pediatric expertise. Pediatric specialists trained in physical medicine and rehabilitation care for children with spinal cord injuries at Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota.
- Research. Mayo Clinic researchers study outcomes, rehabilitation options and potential treatments for people with spinal cord injuries and conduct clinical trials.
- Advanced technology. Mayo Clinic staff use advanced technology in diagnostic tests and treatments, including locomotor training, functional electrical stimulation, diaphragm pacing and other options.
Read more about diagnosis and treatment of spinal cord injury.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for rehabilitation by U.S. News & World Report.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.
Explore Mayo Clinic studies testing new treatments, interventions and tests as a means to prevent, detect, treat or manage this disease.