Departments and specialties
Mayo Clinic has one of the largest and most experienced practices in the United States,
with campuses in Arizona, Florida and Minnesota. Staff skilled in dozens of specialties work
together to ensure quality care and successful recovery.
Departments with related expertise
Areas that research this procedure
Doctors who perform this procedure
Displaying 1-1 out of 1 doctors available
- Rochester, MN
Areas of focus:
Ablation, Bladder biopsy, Circumcision, Cryotherapy for prostate cancer, MRI-guided ablation, Orchiectomy, Prostate biopsy, Prostate brachytherapy, Prostate laser surgery, Prostate ultrasound, Ultrasound-guided prostate biopsy, Ureteral stent exchange, Ureteral stent placement, Ureteroscopy, Vasectomy, Bladder cancer, Bladder outlet obstruction, Bladder stones, Enlarged prostate, Kidney stone, Prostate cancer
see full list in profile
Mayo Clinic researchers are studying ways to improve the effectiveness of prostate brachytherapy.
The effectiveness of permanent prostate brachytherapy depends on how the radioactive seeds are distributed. Researchers at Mayo Clinic study imaging techniques to improve the results of permanent prostate brachytherapy treatment. They have conducted tests on human tissue that produce clear, 3-D images of the prostate within a few minutes.
Vibro-acoustography uses high-energy sound waves (ultrasound) to cause tissue to vibrate. Cancerous tissue is harder (denser) than normal tissue, and vibro-acoustography is particularly sensitive to hard objects. Vibro-acoustography makes it possible to place brachytherapy seeds, check their position and correct placement in one procedure.
See a list of publications from Mayo Clinic doctors on permanent prostate brachytherapy on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
March 24, 2018
- Prostate cancer. National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/patients/guidelines/prostate/index.html. Accessed Sept. 26, 2016.
- Wein AJ, et al., eds. Radiation therapy for prostate cancer. In: Campbell-Walsh Urology. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2016. http://wwwclinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 5, 2016.
- What is brachytherapy? American Brachytherapy Society. https://www.americanbrachytherapy.org/aboutbrachytherapy/whatis.cfm. Accessed Oct. 15, 2016.
- Chao MWT, et al. Brachytherapy: State-of-the-art radiotherapy in prostate cancer. BJUI International. 2015;116 (suppl 3):S80.
- Prostate cancer treatment. National Institutes of Health. https://www.cancer.gov/types/prostate/hp/prostate-treatment-pdq#section/all. Accessed Oct. 5, 2016.
- Brachytherapy. RadiologyInfo.org. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=brachy. Accessed Oct. 5, 2016.
- Radiation therapy for prostate cancer. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/cancer/prostatecancer/detailedguide/prostate-cancer-treating-radiation-therapy. Accessed Oct. 5, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Prostate cancer. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Roach M, et al. Brachytherapy for localized prostate cancer. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 5, 2016.
- Alizad A, et al. Application of vibro-acoustography in prostate tissue imaging. Medical Physics. 2013;40:022902-01.
- Davis BJ, et al. American Brachytherapy Society consensus guidelines for transrectal ultrasound-guided permanent prostate brachytherapy. Brachytherapy. 2012;11:6.
Products & Services