Doctors who perform this procedure
Displaying 1-1 out of 1 doctors available
- Vascular Medicine Specialist
- Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine Specialist
- Rochester, MN
Areas of focus:
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy, Pulmonary embolism, Deep vein thrombosis, Peripheral artery disease
Mayo Clinic researchers are examining the use of hyperbaric oxygen therapy by:
- Evaluating the success of dental implants after jaw radiation therapy
- Analyzing how well it improves outcomes for various conditions, including ulcerative colitis and mastectomy recovery for breast cancer patients
- Evaluating the effects of hyperbaric oxygen therapy on diabetes glucose metabolism
- Evaluating the use of hyperbaric oxygen therapy for children with approved medical conditions
Mayo's hyperbaric chamber is also used to simulate an altitude of up to 100,000 feet, enabling researchers to study an individual's ability to tolerate extreme elevations encountered in commercial flight, suborbital flight, space and other extreme environments. Mayo is helping to develop better emergency oxygen delivery systems for commercial aircraft and evaluating the impact of altitude on the body's metabolism.
See a list of publications about hyperbaric oxygen therapy by Mayo Clinic doctors on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy care at Mayo Clinic
Oct. 28, 2020
- Bennett MH, et al. Emerging indications for hyperbaric oxygen. Current Opinions in Anesthesiology. 2019; doi:10.1097/ACO.0000000000000773.
- Mechem CC, et al. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Sept. 14, 2020.
- Moghadam N, et al. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy in sports musculoskeletal injuries. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 2019; doi:10.1249/MSS.0000000000002257.
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy: Don't be misled. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/hyperbaric-oxygen-therapy-dont-be-misled. Accessed Sept. 14, 2020.
- Office of Patient Education. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy. Mayo Clinic; 2010.
- Accredited facilities. Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society. https://www.uhms.org/accredited-facilities/mayo-clinic.html. Accessed Sept. 14, 2020.
- Shields RC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic. Sept. 25, 2020.
- Melnyczenko AR (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic. Sept. 25, 2020.
Products & Services
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy