The prostate gland is located just below the bladder in men and surrounds the top portion of the tube that drains urine from the bladder (urethra). The prostate's primary function is to produce the fluid that nourishes and transports sperm (seminal fluid).
Holmium laser prostate surgery is a minimally invasive treatment for an enlarged prostate. Also called holmium laser enucleation of the prostate (HoLEP), the procedure uses a laser to remove tissue that is blocking urine flow through the prostate. A separate instrument is then used to cut the prostate tissue into easily removable fragments.
HoLEP is similar to open prostate surgery but requires no incisions. HoLEP removes the entire portion of the prostate that can block urine flow. It can be an option to treat a severely enlarged prostate.
The treatment provides a lasting solution for an enlarged prostate — a condition known as benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). HoLEP also preserves removed tissue so that it can be examined in the laboratory for other conditions, including prostate cancer.
As with other types of prostate laser surgery, HoLEP can offer faster recovery and symptom relief compared with traditional prostate surgery. Rarely, re-treatment with HoLEP may be needed for urinary symptoms.
Read more about benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and prostate laser surgery.
Products & Services
Holmium laser prostate surgery care at Mayo Clinic
Aug. 01, 2019
- AskMayoExpert. Holmium laser enucleation of the prostate. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2018.
- Shigemura K, et al. Current status of holmium laser enucleation of the prostate. International Journal of Urology. 2018;25:206.
- Wein AJ, et al., eds. Minimally invasive and endoscopic management of benign prostatic hyperplasia. In: Campbell-Walsh Urology. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 23, 2019.
- McAdams S, et al. Morcellation efficiency in holmium laser enucleation of the prostate: Oscillating morcellator outperforms reciprocating morcellator with no apparent learning curve. Urology. 2017;106:173.
- Ibrahim A, et al. Eighteen years of holmium laser enucleation of the prostate: A single center experience. Journal of Urology. In press. Accessed May 25, 2019.
- Kuebker JM, et al. Holmium laser enucleation of the prostate: Patient selection and outcomes. Current Urology Reports. 2017;18:96.
- Tominaga Y, et al. Favorable long term oncological and urinary outcomes of incidental prostate cancer following holmium laser enucleation of the prostate. Molecular and Clinical Oncology. 2019;10:605.
- Warner KJ. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 6, 2019.
- Stern KL. A new laser platform for holmium laser enucleation of the prostate: Does the Lumenis Pulse 120H laser platform improve enucleation efficiency? Urology. 2017;102:198.
Products & Services
Holmium laser prostate surgery