Below are current clinical trials.4 studies in Hip replacement
(open studies only).
Filter this list of studies by location, status and more.
Displaced femoral neck fractures are one group of hip fracture patients that are commonly treated with cemented hemiarthroplasty (HA) or total hip arthroplasty (THA). In the elective hip arthroplasty population, the direct anterior approach (DAA) has shown to be effective in helping patients to quickly obtain high postoperative function. This approach has also been shown to be effective in arthroplasty for displaced femoral neck fractures in a few studies. However, the only studies that directly compare two approaches for hip arthroplasty for femoral neck fractures utilize the anterolateral approach (ALA) versus posterior approach (PA) or DAA versus PA. No studies of which we are aware directly compare the DAA to the ALA. The DAA and ALA are the two most popular approaches for bipolar hemiarthroplasty at our institution, so we are setting out to determine the differences between them.
The purpose of this study is to assess daily living activity levels of patients before and after total hip replacement, and to correlate these activities of daily living to those usually obtained with disease-specific questionnaires.
The purpose of this study is to assess the impact of a whole food plant-based diet on blood sugar control in diabetic patients versus a control group on the American Diabetics Association diet before having a total hip, knee, or shoulder replacement surgery.
This study is being conducted to determine gene and protein expression profiles (i.e. which genes and proteins are turned off and on) of those with a possibility of developing osteolysis, infection, arthrofibrosis or metallosis of their THA/TKA.
April 22, 2017
- Hip replacement. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/health_info/hip_replacement. Accessed Nov. 8, 2016.
- Erens GA, et al. Total hip arthroplasty. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 8, 2016.
- Total hip replacement. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00377. Accessed Nov. 8, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Hip replacement. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Erens GA, et al. Complications of total hip arthroplasty. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 8, 2016.
- Minimally invasive total hip replacement. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00404. Accessed Nov. 8, 2016.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Total hip replacement surgery. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Spangehl MJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Phoenix/Scottsdale Ariz. Dec. 5, 2016.
- Nelson CW. Dr. Mark B. Coventry and total hip arthroplasty. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 1996;71:328.
- Brown AY. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 12, 2016.