You may need to avoid eating and drinking for a certain length of time before esophageal manometry. Your doctor will give you specific instructions. Also, tell your doctor about any medications you're taking. You may be asked not to take some medications before the test.
June 10, 2015
- Ask Mayo Expert. Dysphagia. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Peters JH. Techniques of high-resolution esophageal manometry, Classification and treatment of spastic esophageal motility disorders. In: Shackelford's Surgery of the Alimentary Tract. 7th edition. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com.
- Lembo AJ, et al. Motility testing: When does it help? http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 19, 2015.
- American Gastroenterological Association. Understanding esophageal manometry. http://www.asge.org/patients/patients.aspx?id=6822. Accessed March 19, 2015.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 21, 2015.